460c cal file?

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
SQLGuy
antispam: No

460c cal file?

Post by SQLGuy »

My DCS460c did not include a cal file. I don't suppose anyone archived the Kodak repository of cal files before they shut the lights off?

Alternatively, does anyone here have information on the structure of the cal file, or one from a different 460c that they could share?
Hobbyist photographer. Software developer by day. Something of a collector of both film and digital cameras. Enjoy working with obsolete technology.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: 460c cal file?

Post by NikonWeb »

I don't think the individual cal files were available for public download - you had to request them from Kodak support. You should be able to open DCS 460 files without the calibration file, but if you want to experiment you can download a sample file here (see last reply from precertvideo - the link still works): https://www.nikonweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87

Here's an alternative download link: https://nikonweb.com/files/460-2729.CAL

Jarle
SQLGuy

Post by SQLGuy »

Thanks!

When I was asking about anbody having archived the repository, I meant people who worked for Kodak.

Yes, I can open the files in other tools (not in the Kodak TWAIN driver), but there is a noticeable color cast that I was hoping a cal file might correct. Correcting it with flat field correction is rather a pain.
Hobbyist photographer. Software developer by day. Something of a collector of both film and digital cameras. Enjoy working with obsolete technology.
SQLGuy

Post by SQLGuy »

Looking at the file, there's 256 bytes of header, which includes a model string, a date string, and a version string. The rest is 172740 bytes of binary data with byte values usually not too far from 90 hex.

Certainly not enough to cover each of 6M pixels with an 8 bit correction, or even a 1 bit correction. So, either it's compressed, or this data applies to blocks of pixels, or it's something completely different than what I was thinking it is.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

The .cal files are probably forever lost. See my reply in the "Smudge on DCS760c raws" thread: viewtopic.php?t=883

Jarle