Shutter activations

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nikonnl
antispam: No

Shutter activations

Post by nikonnl »

Gentlemen!

It seems that when Nikon Professional Service has replaced a original shutter in a Nikon digital SLR camera by a brand new one, the shutter activation counter in the camera's software isn't/cannot be set to zero. Thus making it difficult - when the moment of exchange is unknown - to find out how many activations that new shutter has had. Is there a trick or software menu readout to check this?

Thanks & regards,

Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
gsandberg

Re: Shutter actuations

Post by gsandberg »

Nico,
Please consider that other parts of the camera can wear out too.
E.g. a fresh shutter may not be of any use when the camera has had more actuations than the designed life for the complete camera.
Regards, Gilbert
nikonnl

Re: Shutter activations

Post by nikonnl »

Gilbert, the only moving parts in a digi-reflex are the shutter and mirror.

To all of you: Yes, you can control the total number of shutter activations. In Opanda Exif Reader you'll find down the long list of image data the total number of shutter activations. Above that number line you'll find two extra lines (00A5 + 00A6 - if applicable) with two figures being shutter no. 1 and no. 2. If your camera has a third shutter that will be mentioned too.

This works with all Nikon digital reflex cameras, save the D1-series and the D100.

regards,

Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

So, this is a second field for the replaced shutter? As in the reading for Shutter 1 remains constant while the reading for Shutter 2 increments shot by shot?

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi,

yes, the first line (00A5) remains untouched, the second line (00A6) and the actual line with the total number of activations will count the latest shots.
I haven't found a camera with a third shutter placed, but I assume there will be a 00A7. The mirror mechanism will not be exchanged - I think - while putting in a new shutter, but I have a camera with (in total) over 346,000 shutter activations and the mirror house works still fine.

regards,

Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.