Looking for a Kodak Dcs 720x

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
louhall
antispam: No

Looking for a Kodak Dcs 720x

Post by louhall »

Hello to all. I am new to this great website. I'm looking for a Kodak Dcs 720x (2 mp) with charger and a battery. If anyone has one sitting around and would like to sale it for a fair price, please email me at hallway4@netzero.net. Thanks Louis
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a Kodak Dcs 720x

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Louis,

As you probably know, the DCS 720x is one of the rarer Kodak models. According to another forum member, only about 1600 720x were built: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=310

..which makes it even more satisfying to find one! Good luck!

Jarle
louhall

Post by louhall »

thanks for the reply. Yes your right I've checked all over the web for a month now for this model with no luck :( . But then I found this website :) . I'm starting to think of just going for the 620x :| but really really want the 720x. Again if anyone has one please email me if your willing to sale it at a fair price. Thanks Louis
spreefurt

Post by spreefurt »

There is no doubt, that the 720X is the rarest of the "regular" Kodak DSLRs of the last years. Only the special models like the monochrome versions 660M and 760M and the prototype (?) SCS 2000 are rarer. The total number of about 1600 is derived from serial numbers. If you find a higher serial number on your 720X, you should report it.

You can find a 720X from time to time on ebay. You should use the international search, most 720X are sold from the USA, because the last stock of the 720X was sold exclusively in the USA at very low prices (about 1800 USD). The normal price for a used 720X should not be higher than 500 USD.

The most critical problem of the Kodaks are the batteries. It seems that there has been no supply of new batteries for many years. And sometimes the batteries are killed by the camera, if they are left within the camera after use. There is no hope to find batteries with badly used or broken cameras - often the batteries are missing. Sometimes it seems, that the price of a Kodak of the 600/700 series on ebay is determined by the included batteries.
louhall

Post by louhall »

thanks for the reply. I'm still looking. I'm even emailing folks from 1 year old web posting on various website's hoping someone has one sitting in the closet not being used. As for batteries, ebay seem to have many seller with Kodak gold series and offer a one replacement on them. I have a chance to buy the 2mp Kodak Dcs 620x with a fairly new battery and charger for $250.00 but I really want the 720x because it has more fps and better buffer. Anyone used one of these? How would it Compare to My Nikon D1H for action in low lighting, fast focus, high ISO noise and shots per battery charge? Now I know this is a old camera with only 2mp, but this is just fine for me. So if there any 720x owners looking to sale one please contact me. Thanks Lou
louhall

Post by louhall »

after many days of searching I did find a DCS 720x :D with ac adapter, battery charger, 4 batteries (2 kodak gold) and software for $175.00 plus it needed the firmware update. Not a bad deal (I think). Again I picked this camera up just for fun, so watchout high school baseball here I come :D
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

louhall wrote:after many days of searching I did find a DCS 720x
Congratulations! Sounds like a good deal. Where did you find it? Feel free to post some photos (of and with) the camera when you get it.

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

720x tips

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The main tip is to use the Kodak Photo Desk software to process 720x shots. The hi-ISO series use a different color filter array and so have a tendency towards producing images tinted toward the yellow side. Kodak's own post-processing software deals with this the best of anything else - as one might reasonably expect. ;)

My 'X' shot workflow is to perform the raw conversion in PhotoDesk, then save the result as a 16-bit Tiff. Then, I can do the rest of the processing with my usual Photoshop workflow. I prefer using Photoshop, but you can substitute your favorite photo workflow app, of course. ;)

Another tip is to use a 720x over a 620x. I know you've already made this choice, but for other folks reading thru this thread in the future, the signal-to-noise ratio *and* the tendency toward yellowish tints are greatly improved in the 720x over the 620x. BTW, I have had multiple units in each model that I used extensively when I was shooting night motorsports some years ago.

Finally, do not overexpose with the 'X' series cameras. The CYM CFA sensor images do not recover nearly as well as the RGB CFA sensor camera ones do......

Now, all you have to do is add a 760c to the kit and you'll have all your photographic bases pretty well covered. There's nothing else in the Nikon DSLR world that produces colors like the 760c does! :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

spreefurt wrote:The most critical problem of the Kodaks are the batteries. It seems that there has been no supply of new batteries for many years. And sometimes the batteries are killed by the camera, if they are left within the camera after use. There is no hope to find batteries with badly used or broken cameras - often the batteries are missing. Sometimes it seems, that the price of a Kodak of the 600/700 series on ebay is determined by the included batteries.
I'll mention that when I bought my D2000 - which I think uses the same batteries - I powered it with one of these from BestBatt.com:
http://www.bestbatt.com/Kodak_4E0111_Ba ... 4e0111.htm

It was $38 at the time, which would have been late November 2008, and it looked new, and worked. Perhaps they have a large stock held over.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

There are guys on eBay that sell batteries for these cameras. Like this guy, for instance, is always selling them:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/photogearfinder

Oh, and you're right. The D2000 is the DCS 520 and the D6000 is the DCS 560 with a slightly different header used at the beginning of the data file. ;)

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Also the batteries from 500/600/700 series are very easy to re-cell. Inside there are 6 4/5 -size NiMH/NiCD cells and the battery casing is easy to open. My local battery dealer does one for about 30 euros.
D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70