Canon RC-760

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Canon RC-760

Post by NikonWeb »

My 1988 Canon RC-760 still video camera arrived today. Bought on eBay for $305, including an original 11-66mm f/2 lens, two Canon BP-7N batteries and the BC-60N charger.

I wouldn't normally bother to pick up a Canon camera, but I really wanted a Canon RC-701 and/or RC-760 to keep my original Kodak DCS and Nikon QV-1000C company. First filmless SLR models from the three big names in professional photography.

This camera was released about the same time as the QV-1000C and both use the same video floppy (VF) disks. Both camera body and lens appears to be in very good shape. Robust body and bright, nice lens.

I don't know how many RC units were made, but it was a relatively popular and common camera compared to the much more expensive and rare Nikon QV-1000C. Less than 180 QV units were sold worldwide -- most of them in Japan, making it one of Nikon's rarest models ever.

The seller couldn't make the camera work, but I have a feeling the batteries are bad. Unfortunately, I can't test this yet. The charger accepts 110V input only, so I'll need yet another gadget to power up the charger (or find a 220V charger). I measured the two batteries (apparently the seller had charged them when trying to test the camera) -- the best one is now 4.27V -- it should be 8.4V. Even with a working charger, I may have to recell one of the batteries to make sure it's not a battery issue.

I'll post some photos and more details later. Until then, here's some Canon info: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/came ... rc760.html

Jarle
Last edited by NikonWeb on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drummond93

RC-760

Post by drummond93 »

Congratulations, Jarle....

Did the kit come with any instructions? More pictures when you get a chance!

Nathan
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: RC-760

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks Nathan!

No instructions. Camera body, strap, lens, two batteries and charger only. I hope to publish some photos soon.

Today, I've contacted the battery shop that recelled one of my Nikon QV batteries a few months ago. They can recell this one as well. Hopefully, a working battery is everything I need to get the camera operational (not that I plan to use it -- but it would be cool to take a few test shots).

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

RC-760 article published

Post by NikonWeb »

I've just finished my RC-760 write-up (version 1.0). Text and photos found at:

http://www.nikonweb.com/rc760/

Enjoy.

Jarle
precertvideo

Post by precertvideo »

In case anyone wants/needs one-there is a "still video player" going on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=011 It is being sold with one of the ordinary RC-260 ION cameras, so should be quite cheap. Not sure that it'd help getting the images onto a computer, though...

If the seller wont post overseas (specifically Norway :wink: ) then you could always send it to me and I would post it on to you.

Jonathan
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Still Video Recorder/Player

Post by NikonWeb »

precertvideo wrote:In case anyone wants/needs one-there is a "still video player" going on ebay
These are relatively common on eBay. Just search for "Still Video Player" (or "recorder"). They usually go very cheap. I already have the Nikon transmitter/player that was sold as part of the QV-1000C kit, and don't need another one (thanks anyway!)

The best way to get the photos from the player to your PC is to use a regular video capture card, and capture the still image in the same way as you'd capture a regular TV signal. Remember, these are not ordinary digital cameras, but "Still Video" cameras. And that's what you'll get: A still video picture - TV resolution and all.

Have fun!

Jarle