Leica dream - I'll give away a M9 (if I can)

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Leica dream - I'll give away a M9 (if I can)

Post by NikonWeb »

Should make it a little more interesting..

http://www.leicadream.com/

Jarle
Last edited by NikonWeb on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title, text
nikonnl

Re: Leica dream - help finance a Leica M9!

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle,
your attempt to find a (multi-)millionaire is a nice one, but why not try an old offer made by Leica: the Leica lease plan. Ask FotoKnudsen in Oslo, whether you may (or still can) lease a new Leica (+ lenses)?
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Nico,

Sure - there are many ways I could pay for an M9, but I set up this site mostly as a tongue in cheek, done in good humour kind of thing. Realistically, I don't expect to make a lot of money, but maybe I'll sell a couple of t-shirts and give someone a good laugh.

And - like playing the lottery - there's always a chance you'll win. But I won't hold my breath.

Thanks,
Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Initial response has been overwhelming, so I'm expanding. My new goal: I'll try to raise money for two M9s - and give one of them away. Will I succeed? I have no idea, but I'll certainly try :-)

More info here: http://www.leicadream.com/m9please.shtml

Jarle
nikonnl

Re: Leica dream - I'll give away a M9 (if I can)

Post by nikonnl »

Quid pro quo, Jarle! Those that are giving you money may force your hand! So be careful !!
I sincerely hope you'll manage to find funds to buy a Leica M9, I like your initiative, but - you know well - dreams are deceptive.
Good luck and regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

I was reminded of this number plate, which I often walk past on the way home from work:

I realise that it spells LIECA. It could be that LE8CA or LE1CA or L81CA etc are illegal under UK law and this was the next best options, or perhaps the owner cannot spell, or the numberplate has nothing to do with Leica. UK law with regards custom numberplates is much more restrictive than in the US, so making a readable numberplate is surprisingly tricky.

Late Eca?

The image was shot with my new DCS 560, using an old Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 lens. I have taken out the camera's internal IR filter. It was interesting going through those tips about street photography in the blog mentioned in the other thread, bearing in mind that I was carrying a very conspicuous camera. So far I have not had an attractive woman come up to me and beg me to take her picture but there's still time, I'm still young, I can still dance.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Ashley,

Any special reason you're using an Olympus lens on your Canon-Kodak?

(I didn't even know that particular combination was possible, but I see there are plenty of adapters available. I learn something new every day!)

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I imagine it's like my many old Nikon and few Leica and Zeiss MF lenses I use on my 560 - he has one and it's an old favorite! :p

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Oh, and we play a single ticket for every lottery drawing - the old no ticket no chance, one ticket almost no chance rule.

If we ever win it big-time, I'll just buy you an M9 and drop it in the post! :P

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:If we ever win it big-time, I'll just buy you an M9 and drop it in the post! :P
Thanks Stan! It's a deal. I'll do the same for you!

Jarle
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

Webmaster wrote:Hi Ashley,
Any special reason you're using an Olympus lens on your Canon-Kodak?
(I didn't even know that particular combination was possible, but I see there are plenty of adapters available. I learn something new every day!)
Jarle
I was impressed by a series of images here:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/ ... inal1.html

The chap compares his copy of the Canon 24mm f/1.4L, a Nikon zoom, and the old Olympus, which is much smaller and cheaper than others. In general the Olympus lens does very well indeed even on my Canon 5D, and it's tiny, and I'm broad-minded. I have a couple of Carl Zeiss lenses for the Contax / Yashica system that are also very good, although they're relatively expensive on account of them having the right Carl Zeiss name on the front. The big strength of the Canon system from my point of view is that it allows for the use of non-Canon lenses.

Then again the recent Micro Four Thirds system allows for an even wider range, including Leica M-mount lenses, 16mm movie lenses and CCTV camera optics and so forth. No doubt there are people in Eastern Europe stripping night vision gear off surplus Russian tanks to sell on eBay to people who have bought an Olympus EP-1 right this very minute.

Which gets back to the topic, in the sense that you could buy an EP-1 or Panasonic GF1 plus a Leica... except that you'd need a wide-angle lens and then you wouldn't have f0.95 at 50mm. Ah.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Ashley_Pomeroy wrote:Then again the recent Micro Four Thirds system allows for an even wider range, including Leica M-mount lenses, 16mm movie lenses and CCTV camera optics and so forth.
A M4/3 camera (like the Panasonic Lumix GF1) looks very interesting, except for the 2x crop factor. I'm a wide angle addict. Imagine a camera like this with a full frame sensor. Oh, that's the M9! Ok, not really - it's a completely different beast - but still..

Steve Huff has a nice GF1 review at his site, BTW: http://www.stevehuffphotos.com/Steve_Hu ... EVIEW.html

I recently came across an interesting post (and an interesting web site) dedicated to older MF lenses on digital cameras: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=21860

Exciting times!

Jarle