Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium Digital- new!! sold on ebay

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
avinoam123

Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium Digital- new!! sold on ebay

Post by avinoam123 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Coolpix-950-M ... ksid=p4295

360$ us

nice item even if not a DSLR

only 2000 made and this is NEW

Should the buyer (collector) Open the box if the box is "Factory Sealed"? (collector value?) ??????????
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium Digital- new!! sold on eba

Post by NikonWeb »

Personally, I've always found such "limited edition" cameras (or whatever) a bit silly.

Regarding opening the factory sealed box: I'm sure it will hurt the collector value, but what's the purpose of buying a camera that you can't even see (or use)? What's the fun with that?

That being said, I realize that some people enjoy collecting "useless" things (I used to collect stamps and coins). I respect that. It's just that I prefer to use my cameras.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Why would you want to use a 2.1MP camera?
Especially if one pays 360 Dollars!
Keep it sealed, I LIKE the box! :wink:

Did you know the blue grip and the silver color is exclusive to this camera?

The few million other coolpix 950s have the regular red grip!

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Coolpix 950 Millennium edition

Post by NikonWeb »

For future reference, here's the original press release, dated Oct 25, 1999:

Nikon to Sell Limited Edition Coolpix 950 Millennium for Charity

MELVILLE, N.Y., Oct. 25 -- Nikon Inc. today announced that it will raise up to $1 million for charity through online sales of its new limited edition Coolpix 950 Millennium digital camera. The sleek, millennium limited- edition rendering of the award-winning Coolpix 950 goes on sale Monday, November 8, at 9:00 am (EST) and will be sold exclusively through the online Nikon Outlet Store. A portion of the sale of the cameras, as much as $1 million, will be donated to the Imus Ranch for children with cancer.

"The Coolpix 950 Millennium camera is Nikon's way of marking the 21st century and giving something back to children who are less fortunate," said Nancy Carr, general manager of marketing for Nikon consumer digital products and compact cameras. "Nikon has already donated 35mm compact cameras to the Imus Ranch but we wanted to do more." $500 of each Coolpix 950 Millennium camera purchased will be donated to charity and Nikon will issue each customer a tax deduction letter.

Each Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium is an individually numbered (plate fastened to the face of the camera, serial #0001 to 2000) camera that features a distinctive brushed metal silver-blue body with a blue and gray grip. Priced at $2,000, the Coolpix 950 Millennium Camera Outfit includes the digital camera plus a rugged black Millennium camera bag, Energizer(R) NiMH battery and charger, Lexar 64MB CompactFlash Card, USB card reader and four filters with a filter wallet. Additionally, Nikon is providing a one year warranty that includes an additional four year extended service contract and a certificate of authenticity.

Part of the proceeds from the sale of the 2,000 individually numbered, fully-loaded Coolpix 950 Millennium camera outfits, estimated at up to $1 million, have been earmarked for The Imus Ranch. The Imus Ranch is an authentic working cattle ranch nestled in the rolling hills of New Mexico below a majestic mesa near Ribera, 50 miles northeast of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The ranch provides kids with cancer or serious blood disorders, as well as children who have lost brothers and sisters to sudden infant death syndrome, the experience of the great American cowboy.

Source: http://steves-digicams.com/diginews_oct99.html#950
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Well, I still use my 950 from time to time.

of course, I modified it for color infrared...
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: OT: Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium Digital- new!! sold on

Post by NikonWeb »

For the record: Another Coolpix 950 Millenium (used, opened box) was recently sold for $106 (eBay item 290265253494).

And yet another factory sealed box sold for $166 - $200 less than the first one.. 20 bids. eBay item 110298981202.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Re: Nikon Coolpix 950 Millennium Digital- new!! sold on ebay

Post by NIKON KIU »

I am guilty, I bought the last one @ $212.50

Just couldn't resist.

Now the eternal question, do I open the sealed box?

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Limited edition it may be - but here's another one. Same seller. Item 350116465930. Still a few days left.

UPDATE: Above item sold for $182.50, 15 bids.

Kiu - you know my position. Open it. Just do it!

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

My son's Birthday is coming up on Friday, I think I am going to let him open it.
He'll be 8 Years old.

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

The Pretty Blue Box was opened on Friday.
I tried to charge the 4 AA Ni-MH Energizer batteries with the included charger, took 5 hours and the batteries are kaput. They won't hold any charge!
Can you believe the look on my 8 year after that?

I had to take the batteries out of the F4s.

I like all the bags with the millenium markings. I think there are 3 of 'em. The Camera box included an 8 Mb Nikon CF card in addition to the 64 Mb Lexar card.

My wife (of all the people) was questioning my decision, she thought this might be a good collectible!
Sooooo, I informed her that if she insists, I can always pick another one for the collectibility value and keep it sealed :mrgreen:

Kiu
Last edited by NIKON KIU on Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:My wife (of all the people) was questioning my decision, she thought this might be a good collectible!
Enjoy the camera - this will never become a (valuable) collector's item anyway, IMO. Much better to let you son have some fun with it.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Looks like they are all gone. I saw 2 more after I bought mine and now there are no more.
:( :(
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon