D2 battery code

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nikonnl
antispam: No

D2 battery code

Post by nikonnl »

Hi friends,
does someone know what the (Nikon D2-series) battery code on the EN-EL4/a batteries is indicating? One of my batteries has code M 4 8 B. The code on the D1 batteries give us some info about the prodcution month and year. What about the D2 batteries?
Thanks and regards,

Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Re: D2 battery code

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Hmmmm. I will hazard a guess based on many other things which use date codes. The M would indicate the year, the 48 the week of the year, and the B the day of the week. The 48 is easy, the B would be Monday or Tuesday (depending on which day they use to begin their week). It is the M that I have no reference for. I have no idea what year A was in this case.

It may not be Nikon's code, but that of the maker of the battery pack.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
nikonnl
antispam: No

Post by nikonnl »

Thanks Stan for your reaction.
The D1 batteries (EN-4) had a 4-digit code: the first two are indicating the year of production, the last two the month. The D2-series camera were produced between July 2003 and August 2007. I have another battery with code H 3 9 A. 39 could be the week in which the battery was produced and the A may be the first day of the week: Monday (since I do not think that on Sunday there are people working at Nikon). Remains the mystery of the first letter.
And: what could be the purpose of engraving the exact date of production? I've never seen another Nikon item with such exact data.

regards,

Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

With the way Li-Ion batts like to go -poof-, I am surprised they don't use the little clocks to code it down to the hour.....

Some makers use Monday to start the week, some Sunday, hence the unknown there. Most makers run seven days a week, and usually two or three shifts a day. Nikon isn't making their own batteries, so the code will be applied by the vendor in whatever code Nikon said to use. Unless, Nikon didn't pay extra for their code to be applied. Then, this is the battery maker's code.

Still, no reference as to which year 'A' was.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer