Nikon D1-R on E-Bay, never heard about it ???

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Paps

Nikon D1-R on E-Bay, never heard about it ???

Post by Paps »

I found following auction on e-Bay. According to you, is it a so rare "official" version from Nikon, as the seller is pretending, or is it just a normal D1 which has been "customised" a bit by taking off the IR filter ? And what does this really bring ?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Nikon-D1-R-Infrared- ... dZViewItem

I wish to all a happy 2006 year, with lots of vintage cameras.

Paps
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

An "Official" infrared camera would be well marked as to not be mistaken for a regula production camera. Kodak marked theirs with an "ir" after the model name on the serial number plate. Looking at the sample pictures, I suspect this is a modified camera with the cutoff filter removed. The IR portion of the image, i.e. the green foliage, is coming out bright white. A color IR camera would try to mimic IR Ektachrome and use a different Mosaic filter on the CCD.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

I agree with Brian. Looks like a standard, modified body.

Jarle
spreefurt

Post by spreefurt »

Now the price was reduced: D1 R.

How is it possible to say, that only 3 D1 R exist, as it is only a modification on demand?
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

You can't

Post by NikonWeb »

spreefurt wrote:How is it possible to say, that only 3 D1 R exist, as it is only a modification on demand?
You can't.

Personally, I wouldn't pay much more than a normal D1 would sell for.

Jarle