Original Kodak DCS -- working!

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Original Kodak DCS -- working!

Post by NikonWeb »

I finally got myself a Nikon F3 HP body for the DCS kit I bought this summer.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to test it properly, but I'm happy to report that everything seems to work. I've successfully hooked the camera up to the Digital Storage Unit (DSU) and made my first test shots (probably the most boring photos ever recorded, but still).

I've reviewed the captured images on the small grayscale DSU monitor, but I need to fully charge the DSU battery before I can do some serious testing :)

Next challenge will be to get the images from the DSU into the PC.

To be continued...

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

DCS SCSI -- part 1

Post by NikonWeb »

I've ordered a new SCSI cable to hook the Kodak DSU up to my PC. The original cable doesn't fit a modern type SCSI card. I could probably use an adapter, but figured it was easier and better to simply get a new cable. Found one (brand new) on eBay for a few bucks.

For future reference, you'll need a 25 pin DB25 male plug to go into the Digital Storage Unit (DSU). The plug in the other end of the cable depends on your SCSI card. In my case, it's a HD50 plug. In other words, I bought a DB25 > HD50 SCSI cable.

For those of you confused by the many different SCSI connectors, you may find this page useful (after all, a photo is worth a thousand words):

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/scsi_connecters.html

I still don't know if I can make this work with a Windows XP system (I have my doubts). I guess I'll soon find out. The original software that came with the DCS kit is Windows 3.1 (or some old Macintosh) only. Where did I put those old DOS and Windows diskettes..?

If anyone have done this before, please let me know.

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

My DCS200ir works with WIN95b. I have never tried it on XP. The other issue will be getting an old version of Photoshop or Photostyler that supports the Kodak TWAIN-16 drivers. Photoshop 4.0 will work, as will 3.0. I have MY disks for WIN3.1. I am still using WIN 3.1 on an embedded computer at work. The SW runs under DOS as it needs to be fast and takeover the interrupt table. Written in C++ 1.52, WIN3.1 lets me compile/exit/run. Running under Windows is JUST TOO SLOW!
NikonWeb
Site Admin

SCSI/Windows hell

Post by NikonWeb »

SCSI cable arrived today. Installed Photostyler 1.1a and the 'Kodak DCS driver for use with Aldus Photostyler software'.

Turned off the PC and connected DSU to SCSI card. Powered up PC, opened Photostyler > File > Import > Kodak Digital Storage Unit: 'Cannot locate the SCSI host adapter'. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised. That would have been too easy.

Guess I'll have to find an old PC, install a SCSI card, install DOS/Windows 3.1, struggle to get the SCSI card working, install Photostyler, install the DCS driver, try again. I'm sure it will be very satisfying if and when I can finally make it work, but right now it's just frustrating.

In other news, I connected the DSU to a regular television (using the video out port). The images that appeared dull, unsharp and low quality on the DSU monitor suddenly came to life! Excellent, sharp images (at least on the TV). Unfortunately, the images are only displayed as grayscale, even if my particular camera is supposed to be a color model. I guess it's a limitation of the video out port. Still, very encouraging. Great to see that everything (except for my current SCSI setup) is working.

Jarle