looking for a suggest on a flash

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
jfr139

looking for a suggest on a flash

Post by jfr139 »

I have a dcs 420 m and a nc2000 c looking for flash suggestions thinking about a sb-20. :?:
have read alot of Ron's articles before I purchased the camera very happy with the pictures so far.
Last edited by jfr139 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: looking for a suggest on a flash

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi there and welcome on board!

I'm not familiar with the SB-20 myself, but using a Nikon N90 camera body, I'd rather get a SB-25 or SB-26. These two models were introduced along with the N90/N90x bodies.

That being said, the SB-20 should also work. You'll find a compatibility chart at the excellent Photography in Malaysia website:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/ha ... lash/sb20/

Good luck!

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: looking for a suggest on a flash

Post by NikonWeb »

I've never used a flash with any of the early Kodak models myself, but apparently it's no walk in the park. Here's some info from a very interesting NC2000 article at robgalbraith.com:

The NC2000 also marks the beginning of photographers' struggles with digital cameras and flash exposure control. On TTL, overexposure was almost guaranteed unless you dialed in minus two or three stops flash exposure compensation (an example of this is shown at left).

Even then, says Tony Kurdzuk, many subjects were hopeless. "If it was a guy in a tuxedo in a ballroom, you could dial back nine stops and you'd still melt him. The only reliable way was to go back to a Vivitar 285 and do standard auto flash. You can just pile on the irony there. I'm holding a $13,000 high-tech camera, and I'm stepping back fifteen years in flash technology."

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -7191-7457

Jarle
NIKON KIU

looking for a flash

Post by NIKON KIU »

jfr139 wrote: looking for flash suggestions thinking about a sb-20. :?:
Although being introduced with the N2020 the SB-20 would work, it lacks swivel but it has bounce capability with a guide number of 100.
The SB-24 was introduced with the N8008 and would work better, it has bounce and swiveland a guide number of 120(?).
The SB-25 has Matrix Metering capabilities(introduced with the N90) and the SB-26 adds on slave Flash with guide number of 126.
I think because of the presence of Preflash in the Matrix metering Mode its best to use any Flash in the AUTO mode with your Digital SLR.
Kiu
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Even the DCS 760 doesn't have TTL-ability. IIRC the 14n was first Kodak with TTL-flash? All flashes I have tested give full power when put to TTL-mode. Flashes own semiautomatic mode, usually called A or Automatic works quite well but of course it's not good substitute for TTL-based flash exposure.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The Kodak 600 and 700 series would work fairly well with the SB-28d flash unit, which was something in between the SB-28 and SB-28dx. It was a modified SB-28 made by Nikon for Kodak to go with the 600 series. I had one when I had my 660c.

When I had my 460c, I used an old SB-11 'potato masher' handle flash with it, which would work most of the time if you stopped the camera down a couple extra stops. Nothing about the 460 was easy, though. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

The Kodak 600 and 700 series would work fairly well with the SB-28d flash unit, which was something in between the SB-28 and SB-28dx. It was a modified SB-28 made by Nikon for Kodak to go with the 600 series. I had one when I had my 660c.
Stan
Hmm, sounds very interesting. Did it have TTL-exposure? Inside my 760's box was user manual for SB-28DX with 600-series and it said that you should not use TTL. And I guess these SB-28d's are very rare? ;)
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The SB-28d didn't use TTL, but had a version of Auto that was better matched to the Kodak imager. There is a mode on the SB-28dx that works the same way when mounted onto a Kodak DSLR, as I recall.

The SB-28d came out prior to the Nikon D1 and was replaced by the SB-28dx once Nikon had the D1 which needed it's own flash control scheme. I suspect this is why there was an SB-28dx manual in your 760 box. ;)

The SB-28d units are pretty rare. Kodak sold far fewer of the strobes than they did bodies. Mine had come with a 660, and wound up being sold with it.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

SB-28D/28DX

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:The SB-28d came out prior to the Nikon D1 and was replaced by the SB-28dx once Nikon had the D1 which needed it's own flash control scheme.
Here's some SB-28D/28DX info I found at www.sportsshooter.com:

- According to Wayne Shipman from Eastman Kodak, they Eastman Kodak have determined that the Nikon SB-28D flash unit that was sold by Kodak Professional dealers offers the same functionality as the newest version SB-28DX model that Nikon began marketing shortly after. Kodak Professional has chosen not to carry the SB-28DX at this time. Anyone considering the purchase of the SB-28D will be able to substitute the SB-28DX successfully.

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: SB-28D/28DX

Post by NikonWeb »

..and here's some Kodak info:

Which flash models are compatible with the Kodak Professional DCS 600 and DCS 700 Series Digital Cameras?

Answer: Answer last updated:12-29-04

The following flash models are compatible.

Nikon Autofocus SB-28D Speedlight:
"A" mode is programmed for these cameras and works well with all camera exposure modes.
"A" mode is a non-TTL metered mode.
TTL flash metering requires flash metering compensation.

Nikon SB-28DX Speedlight:
"A" mode is programmed for the Nikon D1 Camera, and works well with all camera exposure modes.
"A" mode is a non-TTL metered mode.
TTL flash metering requires flash metering compensation. The DCS 600 Series Digital Cameras do not support all features of this flash, such as flash sync above 1/250 second.

Nikon SB-24 and SB-28 Speedlights, SB-30DX Speedlights, and other Nikon Autofocus and TTL-compatible flashes:
'A' mode uses a flash sensor/meter built into the flash.
TTL flash metering requires flash metering compensation.

Metz Flashes:
Flash can only be used in Manual and Auto mode with the DCS 720x Digital Camera.

http://faqs.kodak.com/kodakprofessional/FAQ_57_641.shtm

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I might also add, that there *is* a difference in the way A-mode exposes on these DSLRs between the original SB-28 and the SB-28d / SB-28dx, as I've had all three (still have the SB-28 which is used on the old E2, BTW).

From my experience, the 'digital' versions have had their output dialed back about a stop, probably to avoid blowing highlights with the digital sensors. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

SB-28D on eBay

Post by NikonWeb »

There's a SB-28D listed on eBay right now. 7 day listing, 2 days 17 hrs. left, 0 bids so far. Start price $59. Item number 7552738043.

Jarle
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Hmm, I just got assignment to cover 133rd birthday of Student Union of Helsinki University of Technology and I decided that now would be perfect timing to buy better flash to my DCS 760. ;) Currently I'm using old Starblitz 3600 from 80's and it gives quite irregular results, mostly overrexposing. In Finland a new SB-600 costs about the same as used SB-28DX (~250-300 euros), so does anyone know does the SB-600 work as goog with Kodak as SB-28DX?