Ebay: Kodak DCS 3IR for sale: Caution

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
drummond93

Ebay: Kodak DCS 3IR for sale: Caution

Post by drummond93 »

This is just a note of caution to any interested buyer on this board:
Currently on Ebay (search for "Kodak DCS-3) or at this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-KODAK-EOS-DCS ... dZViewItem

there is a Kodak DCS-3ir (infrared) version that is being sold by the seller "nsxdream", who has also been selling other early digital equipment (a DSU-100 for example that doesn't sell that Jarle been keeping track of the price on)

He bought this camera from another Ebay seller for $110 on August 4th (see completed auctions) and now he's offering the camera for sale at $499 just a week later. If you look at the auction listing, he mentions it "AS IS" and no accessories included (which is the way it was sold). I emailed him and asked him if he had a way of testing it- he indicated he didn't have a way of testing it. (provided the answer that he didn't have an available battery charger for the DCS-3)

HOWEVER, if you look at his other auctions, he has a charger (ELPAC M12815 CHARGER) for sale- which is the same one used with the DCS 3. I noticed this and asked if he could check out the DCS3 by plugging it in to his previously "unavailable" Elpac charger--- and I never got another reply from him. I'm guessing the camera circuitry/ or chip is "DEAD" and therefore he didn't keep the camera and is trying to sell it off to someone who thinks they'll get a working IR version when in reality it's an expensive (at $499) boat anchor. I'd bought an E3s from him earlier that was "as is" w/ a missing tripod plate from the bottom (mentioned in the auction, but "conveniently" not pictured; that when I got it had the whole bottom plate torn off of it- physically, someone had to take some force/ and or work to either unscrew the bottom or pull it off with pliers?)

I'm not against buying and then reselling the same item on Ebay... however, I strongly suspect this camera is "DEAD" and would be nothing more than a display piece. Of course, if you just have to have a dead camera to put on a shelf.... then this might be the one for you!
(If you really want one, I'm your seller :-) in addition to a couple of Brooklyn Bridges I've got some other DCS-3c's (color versions) that I'll gladly change the nameplate and sell you a 'look-alike" DCS-3ir. Only you and I would know! :wink:

Again, I'm not trying to spoil this guy's auction, but I think he's being deliberately misleading by not indicating that it's a broken DCS-3 (whether sold as is or not, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work)
just a caution to the buyers out there.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I've noticed int he past that this seller tends to buy stuff in one auction, then relists it with a slant towards the collector's market. I tend to ignore auctions from him when I see them, since I know that they're overpriced.

Personally, I always check a seller's buying history to see if there was the same or similar item bought recently. If so, then I presume that the one offered for sale now is a POS and steer well clear.

It's easy to search this way, and you'd think that a seller would hold onto items for 30 days before listing them. I can't be the only one that runs searches like this before bidding.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Ebay: Kodak DCS 3IR for sale: Caution

Post by NikonWeb »

I've noticed the same thing. This guy is usually overpriced.

I've also sent a question asking him to check the camera with his Elpac charger. You know what? No reply. For some reason the seller is able to test his other Kodak DSLR's..

I have no problems with people trying to make a profit on eBay, but trying to deliberately fool someone is a completely different thing. Generally speaking, of course. I don't know if that's the case with this particular auction. Could be the most honest seller on eBay, for all I know.

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Ebay: Kodak DCS 3IR for sale: Caution

Post by NikonWeb »

Auction ended without any bids.

I'm not surprised, considering the price (and the fact that it was recently sold for $110).

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Kodak DCS 3IR relisted

Post by NikonWeb »

Webmaster wrote:Auction ended without any bids. I'm not surprised, considering the price (and the fact that it was recently sold for $110).
Relisted, down $100 to $399.99 and with a 'Best Offer' option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-KODAK-EOS-DCS ... dZViewItem

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Kodak DCS 3IR relisted

Post by NikonWeb »

And it was finally sold for $325...

Jarle
cheng2005

Post by cheng2005 »

looks like he was onto us. he fianlly posted that it doesn't power up with the charger.