DCS-100 (DC3) Interconnect Cable?

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
gregburns
antispam: No

DCS-100 (DC3) Interconnect Cable?

Post by gregburns »

Bought a kit within the past week and is mostly complete. Looks to be in great condition, but the interconnect cable (DA-15 connectors, a 15-pin D-sub male-to-female cord, 6 feet long) is missing from the kit. I've ordered what I assume will be a functional replacement (modern) cable from Amphenol so I can fire it up and take some photos, but would love to get "the real deal" (a legitimate original cable). Anybody know where these might be available? Would also love to round out the kit with the missing "User's Manual" and software disks if someone might have extras. I've downloaded the manual/software from Kodak's site, but it'd be nice to have the appropriate copies.

The DSU fires up nicely. Three batteries included in the kit are all dead (who cares?). And the lithium battery in the DSU is also dead (again, I can live with that). Camera looks gorgeous, other cables appear to be complete, and has the optional keyboard and original hard case (unbelievable how large and heavy that thing is).

Might also be interesting to find a "Telebit T2500 modem" to round it out, but didn't see anything described like that up on Ebay, so don't know how easy it is to come across those.

Thanks to anyone with information!

Greg
gregburns

Re: DCS-100 (DC3) Interconnect Cable?

Post by gregburns »

Well, I bought a DB15-M/M five foot cord. Connectors are right, but DSU still reports "No Camera", so I assume that the pinout isn't standard (dang!). The manual says to use only the cable provided and not to substitute. I tried a substitute and it didn't work, so either they're correct in their admonition and substitute cables WON'T work, or a substitute will work but the DSA/camera combination is defective. I suspect (and hope for) the former.

Having said that, anyone know where I can get an original cable? Or, does anyone know the pin/wiring diagram for the original cable or connectors?

Thanks,

Greg
gregburns

Re: DCS-100 (DC3) Interconnect Cable?

Post by gregburns »

Well, Nathan says my cord works with his camera and DSU, so I guess it's a standard DB15 cord, and the conclusion is something is funky with my DSU/camera combo. Will work at reseating cards to see if I can bring it to life when Nathan returns my cords.

I see a gorgeous DCS100 went on ebay with a buy-it-now of just under $5k today. I had e-mailed the seller and asked them to power it up, and they said they would give it a try, but guess they won't have much interest now that it's sold (sigh). It was very nice and looked to be pretty complete: warranty cards, apparently all cables, accessories, etc. Hope the buyer finds that it works...

GB