NC-2000e battery question

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
sfpeter
antispam: No

NC-2000e battery question

Post by sfpeter »

I'm thinking of trying to bring my NC-2000e back to life, but have a question. The battery is long dead and has been disposed of, and the chargers are hard to find---I've only seen one on Ebay in a year and it went for over $80.

I have a Quantum external battery (QB-5 with a cable I got somewhere) that will power the camera. I tried my DCS-420 with just it but without an internal battery the camera doesn't power on but instead makes a buzzing noise (transformer imbalance I guess). Some places still sell internal batteries but they're often old aftermarket stock (likely bad) and the one I tried didn't fit--right battery but in dimensions a little big, it got stuck and I had to tear the whole thing up to get it out.

Sooo.....the batteries are just 9.6 volt NIMH's, which are everywhere for things like RC cars, just not in the wattage and shape I need. However, if I buy a small battery, wire it in, and then use the external Quantum, wouldn't the camera then be able to power on? It's the same as if I was running it on the charger and the small battery is there just to be "charged" but it's the external battery doing all the work. Make sense or am I missing something?
Stan Disbrow

Re: NC-2000e battery question

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, it isn't a transformer since the camera does not have one. The buzzing is probably something -like the shutter charge servo- not liking the low voltage it sees as a result of not having an internal battery.

Usually the way it works is the external source delivers enough current to charge the internal battery when the unit is otherwise not doing much. When it comes time to operate, the extra current comes out of the internal battery. Running only the external power means that the voltage will drop without the internal battery in there....

As I recall, these things used a 7.2v pack made up out of one of the variants of an 'A' sized cell. Your best bet is to hook an external pack made up of whatever cells you like, but attach it to where the internal pack attached and not try and use the charge-in connector.

I had a 460c way back when, and I re-celled it, but can't recall exactly what cell they used now. I think it was 5/4 AA. Plus, it may be that the NC-2000e was different, but I think all the 400 series (which the 2000e is based on) used the same packs.

I know what you're thinking. 5/4 AA? what in heck is that? Well, that would be the same diameter as a bog-stock AA cell, but somewhat longer.

Here is a link to confuse you even more.

http://www.powerstream.com/Size.htm

I stuck the link into a new thread in the generic subject forum for future reference for battery cell sizes as well.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
sfpeter

Post by sfpeter »

Thanks, that makes things a but more clear, I guess my mind went foggy and got confused between the 7.2V and 9.6V batteries. My DCS-620X runs just fine with only an external battery, but eh, they probably designed the older ones thinking it'd never be without the internal battery.

Wiring into the battery port is something I experimented with on my DCS-420, I think using the battery tray from my D700's grip and it worked, just I didn't want to drill a hole in the case for a permanent setup. OTOH these Kodak/Nikon hybrids are all worthless now so why not? Just need to get a cable and a couple of connectors.
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi,
Here in Holland I know a Nikon dealer/collector (NHS member) who is able to produce batteries on demand. Look at his site (www.accuman.nl) and tell him your wishes. Wouter Oosterbaan Martinius in Haarlem (Holland) is a respected Nikon expert, so he might be able to help you.
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.