The Shelves of Obsolete Electronics

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
nikonnl
antispam: No

Re: The Shelves of Obsolete Electronics

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Stan, the first bid comes from my wife :D I stopped using ebay. Ebay allows you to pull the auction 1 day before it ends, even if there are bidders. I just made a bid not to miss it. You still can pull it and give me a hint of what you have in mind at nicholasvandijk at gmail dot com or via my website.
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, maybe eBay used to let one pull auctions with bids, but I noticed that the option to click on to do so disappeared as soon as it had a bid....

I've never tried to end one early before, so I don't know how it worked in the past.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Stan,
I keep looking and looking at your impressive SOE's but I don't seem to be able to find a Reel to Reel Tape player/Recorder.

I think every SOE needs one of those, don't you people agree?

Kiu :P
Lets talk Nikon
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

There *is* one there. It's not out on the SOE, though. It's in the equipment rack in the E-shop.

The bottom half of the right-hand rack holds older audio equipment. On the very bottom is an Akai open reel deck. You can hardly see it, as the 'patient cart' is sitting right in front of it in the shot (#5). So, you can only see the very top of the open reel deck peeking out from behind the cart.

I ought to put the thing up on eBay, as I have not used it in a couple years. I've slowly been going thru stuff trying to cut down on stuff I haven't used in a couple years. :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

One bad thing about the SOE is that stuff sometimes goes bad out there.

I had a late 1970's Pioneer stereo shelved out there. I had a use for it after 20 years, and it is need of some repairs. The main power supply capacitors have packed it it and the foam acoustic suspension around the 8" drivers in both speakers have disintegrated.

Yet the 1932 RCA Radiola 80 AM broadcast receiver, which I have not fired up in as long a period of time, came up just fine. Oh, I used a variac on it to slowly let the caps polarize once again, andI did the same on the much newer Pioneer as well, and it's fine.

I guess it's true, then. They just don't build them like they used to!

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Ok. Update time. Starting in mid-summer 2014, my wife and I started a long project. To weed out our 'stuff' (I was gonna use another S word, four letters long, but changed my mind at the last second).

Of course, we picked the hottest day of last summer to start. It is now complete. Maybe. All my electronics stuff is now out in the detached garage in the left rear corner. My camera stuff is upstairs as is my ham station and my hatter's stuff (for cleaning and repairing hats). My machine shop is along the left and right walls downstairs. I can pull one end of a car or truck inside to work on it in the middle. I can't get a car all the way in because there are three motorcycles in the very center. Oh, well.

Her woodworking and craft stuff is all in the attached garage now. The extra shed is now storage for things which do not really care about the heat of summer nor the cold of winter. Both garages have heat and cooling (well, reasonably but not as good as the house has). To fit this way, a lot of stuff had to go. Some on eBay. Some given away. Some recycled. And, just a little bit trashed.

More than half the stuff in my old pics was recycled. Most of what I have left is 80s and 90s General Electric and Ericsson 2 way radio gear which I keep adding to since I still use it in the ham bands. This being certain models we wrote new firmware (called hamcode or hamflash) for back when it was in production, or just after we ceased making it, and is still flooding surplus tables at hamfests and on eBay. I have so much of it, though, it takes about 12 shelves to hold just that.

I let go of my DCS 560 and 720x along with what I had left of Canon glass. And all the Nikon AF glass except for one 28-105 AF Zoom lens. That is my 'point and shoot' lens for my 760c, which I kept with one battery and one charger. Oh, and the few Leica and Zeiss lenses I had went as well. I kept all my AI'd, AI and AIS MF Nikkor lenses, though. My idea is to get one of those Nikon manual DLSRs (can't think of the model for some reason) one day when they 'go for cheap' on eBay.

Maybe my 760c will chug along until then. Although the charger smoked a cap in the battery base a couple months ago. I have yet to fix it, charging my one battery with one of my lab bench power supplies.

Pics to come in a day or two. I am feeling lazy today....

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Oh. And, the stuff I recycled took four fully-loaded trips in the back of my vintage American Station Wagon to dispose of! This, just my obsolete electronics. One load was for only VCRs. About 800 pounds worth of them! :P

Most of them still worked.

Two loads were Intel Pentium 1, 2, 3, and 4 computers along with Mac G3s and G4s. Sheesh.

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

One of the most interesting threads around here. Thanks Stan for keeping us updated.
Now for your info, I will NEVER let go of my VCR player/recorder, I think I only have one left. I also have a Video 8mm player/recorder, it's a Sony so a keeper!

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon