DCS-3 and DCS420 galleries on Flickr

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
snapabraham
antispam: No

DCS-3 and DCS420 galleries on Flickr

Post by snapabraham »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. Thought I'd share a couple of galleries with you that I put up on Flickr. I own a Canon DCS-3 and a Kodak DCS 420. (I just picked up the 420 for $50. on Ebay! I work as a photojournalist at a daily newspaper in CT (An endangered species to say the least!) and have seen just about every major change in the newspaper industry since I stated in 1987. I started with B&W film and printing to scanning color negs using the big bulky Kodak film scanners tethered to G3 Macs and all the way to using a Nikon D3s. (This camera rocks!!) Anyhoo, I have an affinity for all the "old school" technology and like to mess around with it when time permits. Heck, I still have my Nikon F body from when I first started! (I wish I kept the Nikkor 55mm f1.2 lens though! I still kick myself for selling that one. :-)) I must say, I think these two cameras can still put out a decent quality photo under ideal conditions and proper lighting, and that any of the photos I've posted would look fine in newsprint and, I dare say, would reproduce well in any magazine.

Flickr gallery for the Canon DCS-3: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonman24 ... 395463257/

Flickr gallery for the Kodak DCS 420: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonman24 ... 729061988/
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: DCS-3 and DCS420 galleries on Flickr

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi and welcome aboard! Always nice to see someone appreciate and having fun with these old things. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Jarle
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice pictures
I bought a 420 0n ebay a little over a year ago. Never could get the camera to recognize the memory card. I think the firmware is corrupted.
snapabraham

Post by snapabraham »

Hi Paul,

One thing I discovered is that you can't just put a PCMCIA compact flash card with a standard card in the camera. I've either had to use the original
Type III PCMCIA memory card or use an IBM Microdrive with the PCMCIA adapter. Then the camera works fine. Otherwise I would get an error and the camera doesn't work Hope this helps. Otherwise sell me the camera for parts! Ha, ha.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

If the old wetware is working properly today, the key for the 4xx series is FAT-12 formatting and under 512 MB.

The newer cameras are FAT-16 and so many of the CF cards these days are over 512 MB.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've tried both a viper 340 and 170. I can only guess the firmware is corrupted, or possibly, even though the battery seems to take a charge, and I've tried it plug in to the adapter, maybe the battery is not strong enough.

One of these days I'll figure it out.
snapabraham

Post by snapabraham »

I also have a Viper 170. It failed to work in my camera. It's so old, I assume it's unreliable. I also have a Microtech 260mb card which doesn't work either. Both were formatted and seemed to work at first, but then wouldn't open when placed in the computer's PCMCIA slot. I just got a good deal on a couple of Sandisk Type II cards that are 440mb each. They will go right into my G4 laptop's slot no problem. The type three cards are a pain to deal with because you have to use a real old laptop with dual slots. Good luck with your camera. Keep me posted.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Allow me to add a bit here.

The older cameras want the cards formatted FAT with 12 bits.

Modern computer OS's will format them FAT with 16 bits unless you specifically use FAT-12.

If you put a FAT-16 formatted card into a FAT-12 camera, you won't get it to work, yet it will work just fine in the FAT-16 aware computer.

It's a 'gotcha' I recall from my days way back when using Kodak 4xx series cameras.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks Stan
I have no idea what my cards are formatted at. If I reformatted them using a DCS 315 or 660, would they be formatted right for the use on a 420?
snapabraham

Post by snapabraham »

Hi all,

I just picked up a Kodak nc2000e camera (This is the model I have been wanting to get all along) I've posted photos from it onto a new set in my Flickr account. Check out the pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nikonman24 ... 957197542/

Also, if anyone cares to look, I've started a new blog featuring photos from these old cameras. Most are the same shot on Flickr, but I will try to keep things interesting and have different material to show. Enjoy!

Blog link: http://snapolson.blogspot.com/
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

IIRC, the 660 formats FAT-16. I never had a 330, but I bet it's also FAT-16. I used to format FAT-12 using the PC and changing the format control from 16 to 12....

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks Stan
Paul

Post by Paul »

snapabraham
The color on your pictures are amazing.
great pictures.
snapabraham

Post by snapabraham »

Thank you Paul.
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

I had some card formatting issues with my DCS420c. When I got it, it had a 2GB flash & PCMIAA card and it worked fine.

When the battery pack started going south, the files stopped showing up on the card. The space was getting taken up, but nothing showed up in the directory. I was able to retrieve them with recovery software.

I've tried a bunch of CF cards in it 4GB and less since replacing the pack. They all work. I format them on a D1x.

Ty