"Kodak / Nikon F3 DCS Camera System *New in Case*"

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ashley_Pomeroy
antispam: No

"Kodak / Nikon F3 DCS Camera System *New in Case*"

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

Holy cow:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kodak-Nikon-F3-DC ... 35971712QQ

"Complete Nikon F3 DCS camera system in travel case, Camera is in Mint condition in case, never been used."

Perhaps as a consequence of this, there's no indication as to whether it works or not. It has the case, the keyboard, the works. Starting bid of $999, and it'll be fascinating to see what becomes of it (it'll end up in a museum, probably).

EDIT: After having sobered up, I realise that I have put this in the wrong forum. Can you imagine carrying one of these around London? A big metal box with a glowing screen attached to a camera via a cable? The police would stop you immediately.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: "Kodak / Nikon F3 DCS Camera System *New in Case*"

Post by NikonWeb »

Will be an interesting auction to follow.

Jarle
cgrab

Post by cgrab »

Thanks for posting this!
I'll be following this auction too.

Christoph
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

I have bought from this seller before, very reputable Photo dealer in New England.
I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

Webmaster wrote:Will be an interesting auction to follow.
Jarle
Alas, it seems to have been terminated early. I guess he must have had an offer he couldn't refuse!
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Annoying. Also, I sent them an email a few days ago, asking for more details. They never replied. Not impressed.

Jarle
cgrab

Post by cgrab »

Very annoying, as I was bidding.

Christoph
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

On a tangent, whilst looking it up, I found this article from a newspaper photographer who used digital cameras back in 1993, and who recalls one of his friends using a Kodak DCS (although it's identified as a Sony):
http://blogs.phillynews.com/inquirer/sc ... ies_1.html

"Jerry could only recall using an early Sony camera, tethered to a recorder that he had to carry around on his shoulder. He said he only used it once as an experiment at a Temple University football practice. The first time he used a digital camera for publication was for the Final Four at the Meadowlands in 1996. He remembers "the paper plunked a Kodak NC2000 in my hands on the opening day of the NCAA Final Four and told me that I was going to use it to shoot with it."

But Eric Mencher emailed me that I was right. He indeed used the "modified Nikon F3 with a huge battery pack and storage unit," during the 1993 playoffs and series, adding, "It was a monster to lug around." He made the front page photo with the camera - of the same Mitch Williams - walking off the field alone after throwing the home run pitch to the Blue Jays’ Joe Carter which won the World Series for Toronto. The very last time the Phillies appeared in the Fall Classic."

There's even a sample shot, which has the kind of washed-out colours I associated with the older Kodak cameras, and also masses of noise (but then again it was probably shot under terrible lighting conditions at a higher ISO).

I have to saw that Mitch Williams isn't much of a looker.

The article has the only shot I have ever seen of a photojournalist actually using a Kodak DCS 620 in a photojournalistic context. It's a man called John Costello in Kosovo. It's a fascinating photo - he's editing what looks like a shot of a wounded man on his huge laptop, with the dual battery charger sitting next to it. There is also a shot of a Kodak DCS 200 with a melted (!) SB flash unit.