Charger for DCS 600/700-series?

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Charger for DCS 600/700-series?

Post by NikonWeb »

There's plenty of AC adapters for DCS 600/700 chargers on eBay, but the actual charger seems to be hard to find. How come? And more importantly: any suggestions where you can find these things (for a reasonable price)?

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Re: Charger for DCS 600/700-series?

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I presume you picked up that camera, then?

Isn't this just the way? Those things I see all the time on eBay, yet when someone actually wants one there isn't a single one to be found.

I have an extra, but it smoked something on the left-hand slot. An old battery had an issue and got hot and then melted the connector down in the well. I might be able to fix it. I have not tried since I had another one on the shelf collecting dust.

If you don't find one soon, I'll see about fixing this one. I know I can fix everything but the actual connector on the left side with the melted plastic all over it. That might prove tricky and I have no source for new connectors of course. Still in the worst case, I know I can get it to work on the right side. The thing is actually two charging circuits on one board, so disconnecting the LH circuit would allow the RH one to function. That'd make it a one-pack charger instead of a two-pack one, but it'd serve your purposes well enough.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Stan,

Haven't bought the camera yet - still thinking about it. A one-pack charger would be great, if you're able to fix yours and willing to sell (I'll get back to you if and when I buy a camera). There's a charger listed on eBay right now, but I think $125 is a little steep.

Thanks,
Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

So, is that hacked-up one-slot special charger I made for you still working?? ;)

Have you figured out the color issues that the 720x tends to have at time?

Heck, are you even still using it for that matter??

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Stan,

Your charger is working beautifully! Thanks again!

I haven't used the camera as much as I would like to (yet), but it's working flawlessly and I've done some comparison shots with the 720x and a Nikon D300. Hope to do a write-up and post some photos soon. High ISO performance is very good (at least compared to other contemporary models), and using Kodak PhotoDesk I'm pretty happy with the colors, too. It's a great camera - I'm glad I got it. More details later!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Great! I didn't spend much time testing the hack job there. I ran one pack thru and called it 'done' and shipped it off since I knew you'd be hurting a bit without it. ;)

Yes, the 720x is quite good at what it does. I've shot several thousand images with mine, mostly night oval track auto racing and no-flash-allowed professional bowling tournaments.

later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
phi47

Post by phi47 »

Of course, there's always the cheap 8V DC low output AC Adapter/power supply that can easily be rigged to the +/- terminal slots, which I have found is also extremely useful for "precharging" a completley flat cell that isn't even recognized by the OEM Kodak dual slot chargers. The cheap AC power supply won't "monitor" charge state for you, but if you're trying to caox a bit more life out of old batteries anyways, who cares.
phi47