DCS 420: Strange CF card issue

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DCS 420: Strange CF card issue

Post by NikonWeb »

Cheap old 'Twinmos' 128 MB CF-card formatted as FAT (i.e. NOT FAT32) under Windows XP, Canon PCMCIA adapter:

My DCS 420 will correctly report xx number of images left, and count down as I press the shutter button. Everything seems to work, but no files are recorded. To make sure it wasn't a camera issue, I tried my 40 MB PCMCIA card. No problems there. Also, the same combination (card/adapter) does work with my Fujix DS-565 (Nikon E3S).

Anyone else experienced such problems?

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Made me Look! I used the Simpletech 256MB CF to store some images and retrieve them with the SCSI Twain drivers. The DCS420c successfully did a write then read/erase cycle with the TWAIN driver.

I am running frimware 051998. Under the older firmware, "011997"(? something ending in a 7), I had similar problems with the Simpletech card that NOW works. The card Formatted with the camera, showed the number remaining, took a picture, then gave an "E2" error indicating the disk was not ready. This error is not gone with the latest firmware, available from Kodak.

Jarle, do you have the SCSI set up? I am using Adaptec 2940 cards winder WIN95b.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

SCSI

Post by NikonWeb »

Brian Sweeney wrote:Jarle, do you have the SCSI set up? I am using Adaptec 2940 cards winder WIN95b.
Hi Brian,

I don't have SCSI set up on any of my current PC's. I did hope to avoid it, but I guess I'll have to set up an old Win 95 (or 98?) PC to properly work (i.e. play) with these old things..

Thanks,
Jarle
kelbley

Post by kelbley »

:D
About 4 years ago, I used a Microtek SCSI to 1394 converter.
It seemed to work fine with the Kodak DCS 420 and the RFS 3570 scanner on my Mac....

I'd guess that something like this would still work today...
(easier and maybe cheaper than messing with a scsi card..)

-Jay

:roll: