Using old Kodaks with old Macs

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Anssi Krooks

Using old Kodaks with old Macs

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Hi all!

I got a Macintosh PowerBook G3 (from 1998) last week and after finding out that it has a scsi-port I decided to try to get it working with my DCS 420. Well, today I finally got the right HDI-30<->DB25-SCSI-cable and Photoshop old enough (5.0 LE ;)). I copied the DCS Acquire 5.6.5 -plugin to Photoshop's plugin folder and it worked!

Colors seem to be a lot better than with ACR, but there isn't any exposure correction, anti-moire or noise reduction (all would be very usefull with this camera). I also found out that my 420 has the newest 98-firmware and that the clock isn't Y2K-ready. ;)

Screenshots and photo of the setup after link:
http://seudun.kuvat.fi/kuvat/_Experimen ... /powerbook
D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70
phi47

Old Adobe Photodeluxe

Post by phi47 »

Olds Macs and Adobe Photodeluxe work quite well in acquire mode for DCS200, DCS4xx, and handle the image editing job of 6xx and 7xx through OS9.2. Since the 4xx, 6xx, 7xx can handle CF Cards, it makes image transfer exceedingly easy. I still use NC2000E for ebay auction shots in my "home studio" setting. The DCS200ci is collecting dust because of the SCSI-only transfer. As weird as it may sound to some of you, I always liked the 8008s body and the way it handled. Don't think I ever used very many of the automated features, DCS6xx, 7xx the same. I'll never bother to figure out all the bells and whistles. It's far easier to just shoot A or S mode(or even M) and take a test shot then correct.
Cheers,
phi47
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a cool setup. Personally, I prefer to transfer DCS files using the PCMCIA slot on my laptop (or simply use a CF card in a PCMCIA adapter). SCSI, in general, is just too frustrating to deal with.

Here's a few NC2000e sample photos posted earlier: viewtopic.php?p=1561

Jarle
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Today I made a short walk with my DCS420 just to keep battery and electronics alive. Lens I used was the 18-55 DX with Heliopan IR/UV -cut to fight the IR contamination. Files converted with my "Classic" Mac setup (Acquire 5.6.5 and PS 5 LE) and only resize and sharpening done in Photoshop.

http://seudun.kuvat.fi/kuvat/_Experimen ... 20/080727/
D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70