The DCS 760 is dead, long live the slr/n!

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Anssi Krooks

The DCS 760 is dead, long live the slr/n!

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Hi!

My DCS 760 suffered a shutter failure at 70 000 frames and because it wasn't financially worth fixing it, I started to look a replacement. First wanted another 760, but when I discovered a slr/n with low actuations (6000) I simply couldn't resist the offer! Final price with 2 GB CF was 750 euros.

First impressions are quite pleased. ISO 800 seems quite usable with PhotoDesks Expert NR and skin tones are what they are meant to be! Here is a quick snap from Helsinki Central Railway-station in ISO 800. Lightning was dim and mixed daylight and fluorescent but AWB seems to work quite well. Converted in PhotoDesk using Portrait Reduced -look.

D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: The DCS 760 is dead, long live the slr/n!

Post by NikonWeb »

Anssi Krooks wrote:Final price with 2 GB CF was 750 euros.
Sounds like a fair price, although I'm not sure I would have bought one of these myself. I'll wait until they sell for $100, or so :-)

Have fun!

Jarle
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Half year and 5000 frames later I have somewhat learned to tame this "by engineers for engineers"-camera. When treated correctly this humble camera gives mind blowing image quality which puts Canon 5D and Nikon D3 to shame at base ISO and exposures shorter than 2 seconds. In general use it of course is very slow and image quality anything higher than ISO 250 could be described as "artistic". So if you want a FF landscape camera with budget, slr/n offers tremendous bargain compared to the D3.

After the link you can find few images from this morning. After warm autumn the sea is finally starting to freeze over. slr/N and 80-400 VR: http://seudun.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2008/Tammikuu/
Anssi Krooks

DCS 760 alive again

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Well, I have great news: the DCS 760 works again! I powered it up with AC-adapter and after sitting half a year on the shelf without power the shutter works again at least on AC-power. Maybe the lack of power did dome kind of shutter diagnostics reset? Shutter speeds and exposure seems to be ok. Have to test operation on battery power later.

With 5 working DSLR I'm starting to consider myself as "gearjunkie", but I'm sure I have use for all of them (well maybe not for the DCS 420). The DCS 760 will have great role on remote sensing studies which involve a ultraviolet photography project. According to my brief tests before shutter failure the CCD used on 660/760 seems to have very useful response on ultraviolet frequencies and with Kodaks powerful "click WB" I was able to get more pleasant and "right" color on uv-photos than with my Nikons.

Edit: Works also on battery power.
Last edited by Anssi Krooks on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: DCS 760 alive again

Post by NikonWeb »

Anssi Krooks wrote:Well, I have great news: the DCS 760 works again! I powered it up with AC-adapter and after sitting half a year on the shelf without power the shutter works again at least on AC-power.
Good news. Could be a power issue, or maybe a random mechanical problem? Have fun while it lasts!

Jarle
phi47

Post by phi47 »

Is the on board power supply in 660/760 susceptible to failure? I have 660 which does not power up on battery, but direct 7.2V to the Black and Red connector that goes to the F5 body powers the Body up, still not able to capture images/