Caution when fitting film N90s to DCS back

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
precertvideo
antispam: No

Caution when fitting film N90s to DCS back

Post by precertvideo »

Pardon me if this has already been posted-I couldn't see it anywhere.

Having just nearly found out the hard way, when fitting a N90s body that has been used with film to a DCS 400 series back, apart from the obvious battery compartment/film back removal, there is also a small screw that needs removing just above the shutter as per photo below.

I don't think I damaged the CCD, but the photo's came out blurry as the CCD couldn't sit flush with the camera body! Presumably it is there for film alignment.

Jonathan
Last edited by precertvideo on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9
nikonnl

little screw

Post by nikonnl »

Hi, this screw 'tells' the camera whether there is a film in it or not. If you remove that screw and close the normal film back, the camera wont work.
You'll find this screw also on the F801/N8008-series with film- or digiback (kodak).
Regards,
Nico
Ashley_Pomeroy

Re: Caution when fitting film N90s to DCS back

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

This is an ancient thread, but I have half a mind to temporarily convert my DCS 460 back into a film camera (my only other film SLR, a Canon EOS 100, doesn't feel as tough, and the N90s body has a few features that the Canon doesn't, not least the ability to add a vertical grip). Spare backs are readily available on eBay, as are battery holders and indeed the MB10 grip, but this screw seems like a fly in the ointment.

Is it available anywhere? Is there a way of spoofing its function with e.g. Blu-Tak or a toothpick? Is this exact same pin present in a much cheaper used Nikon body? E.g. there's a "spares or repair" Nikon F401s on eBay.co.uk right now. There's also a broken F90x, but I suspect the bidding will hot up because it's not *very* broken. In theory I could buy an actual second-hand F90, but that would be silly, because I then wouldn't need the pin, I could just use the second-hand F90 instead of converting the DCS 460.

Ashley
Last edited by Ashley_Pomeroy on Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nikonnl

Re: Caution when fitting film N90s to DCS back

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jonathan,
on ebay (USA) there are several F90's/F801's etc. offered; so you'll have a back, a battery door and that pin. Try ebay seller 'betteroffblu', who has a lot of old Nikon gear, maybe she (it's a Texan lady) has some parts as well, as she doesn't list everything. If not sent me your email address and I'll have a look for that pin.
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.