MVC-5000 disassembled shutter/sensor box

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
precertvideo
antispam: No

MVC-5000 disassembled shutter/sensor box

Post by precertvideo »

I hate to destroy things unnecessarily - I thought I might be able to restore this, but it was far to badly corroded. Been in the sea???

This is the heart of the camera-the mirror box, shutter & sensors. It is beautifully made in typical Japanese 1980s style. The tin case has sticker on the bottom "Mfr: SOC Corp." not sure who this is (Sony Optical Corp???) A few circuit boards/components had the Canon logo.

Note two shutters, one for each CCD for some reason.

The CCD images were made with my Union Examet reflected light microscope, one of my other hobbies.

This thing is the beam splitter;

I splashed out on a minty, fully working version as well which came with the Nikon lens adapter MCL-200N. It accepts Nikon F-AI lenses (only telephotos due to rear element), features scale to set maximum aperture of lens being used (f/2~11), aperture coupling lever, Ai aperture meter coupler, and a movable rear element (to fine focus lens being used, or ensure infinity focus?). Fully coated glass elements have a convex (magnifying) effect. Thickness 27.5mm. Original price $2,900

The "film" to flange distance of the Mavica is approx. 57mm, which must have made designing wide angle lenses more difficult. The lens mount is very similar to the Canon EF just ever so slightly bigger, almost certainly designed by Canon (they made the lenses.) Similar electrical contacts, all electronic, no mechanical connection (Is the Mavica the first all electric lens mount?).

Don't get insight like this on Facebok! :D
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9