Nikon D4 is here

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Nikon D4 is here

Post by NikonWeb »

Improved video features (big deal for photo journalists) and a bunch of seemingly minor but important tweaks and new features.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... 1673-12223

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Re: Nikon D4 is here

Post by NIKON KIU »

It took Nikon almost 30 years to go from Nikon F to Nikon F4
Took 'em 12 years to go from Nikon D1 to Nikon D4, with a bunch of X's and S's in the middle...
Do you remember the Nikon D2Xs?

Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

I'll get a chance to play with the camera on monday. I've ordered two bodies for pro use. Seems like a nice upgrade.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

This will become the pro camera of choice in 2012. The one to have...
The high frame rate will be perfect for Olympic games in London.

Nikon will do ($$)GOOD($$) with this camera...

Kiu

PS: waiting for a little review from Jarle
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

What can I say? Seems like Nikon has made an excellent camera even better! Testing a sample camera using early firmware, image quality already looks very nice (on the camera monitor). Testing the ridiculously high ISO 204.800 (Hi4) there was a lot of noise - as expected. ISO 6400 and 12800 looks very clean. Relatively speaking, of course. According to several sources, you can expect at least 1 stop better ISO performance than on the D3S. Still, it's too early to conclude.

Not everyone is convinced that the sensor is better than the D3S (personally, I'm confident that it is). Thom Hogan, for example: "Curiously absent from Nikon's marketing materials are any comparisons to the D3s low light capabilities. That, of course, raises eyebrows. Early output I've seen from skilled shooters with the D4 looks good, though. Is it D3s good? I don't know and won't until I get a chance to shoot with the camera myself and push it in the extremes I did with the D3s." Read more: http://www.bythom.com/d4intro.htm

The camera feels great. Responsive and solid, as you'd expect from a pro Nikon body. Many nice improvements. Video is a a different league than the D3S. A really big deal for many photojournalists. The new 85mm f/1.8 lens was lighter than expected. Here are two quick grab shots. I couldn't resist bringing the QV-1000C and capture it next to the D4 :-)

Jarle
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, today I also had the opportunity to 'taste' the new camera. It is a solid workhorse and even 200 Euro cheaper than the D3X! The new camera will be available here in Holland from February 16. Photography and video in one body is not what I am asking/needing. For the professional news shooter a PRO video-camcorder is irreplaceable (yet).
Regards,
Nico

www.nicovandijk.net
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:For the professional news shooter a PRO video-camcorder is irreplaceable (yet).
Hi Nico. I'm a professional photo journalist for a daily newspaper. Both myself and my colleagues are using DSLRs to shoot video. We also have dedicated video journalists that are using professional video equipment, but traditional still photographers are using Nikon and Canon bodies to capture video. This may be different in other organizations, but I believe it's the norm many - if not most - places.

Jarle
Ashley_Pomeroy

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

Webmaster wrote:
nikonnl wrote:For the professional news shooter a PRO video-camcorder is irreplaceable (yet).
Hi Nico. I'm a professional photo journalist for a daily newspaper. Both myself and my colleagues are using DSLRs to shoot video. We also have dedicated video journalists that are using professional video equipment, but traditional still photographers are using Nikon and Canon bodies to capture video. This may be different in other organizations, but I believe it's the norm many - if not most - places.

Jarle
I always believed that one day still cameras would die out, and instead people would just take still frames from hi-def video cameras and use them instead (or just not take still frames at all, because in the future everybody would have a portable video screen and there would be no newspapers). Instead it seems to be heading the other way, although I suppose eventually the distinction between the two technologies will fade away.
Ashley
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Ashley_Pomeroy wrote:I always believed that one day still cameras would die out, and instead people would just take still frames from hi-def video cameras and use them instead (or just not take still frames at all, because in the future everybody would have a portable video screen and there would be no newspapers). Instead it seems to be heading the other way, although I suppose eventually the distinction between the two technologies will fade away.
Absolutely. Video and still cameras are melting together. For now, a video camera can't replace a still camera - and vice versa - but impressive stuff has been filmed with DSLR cameras. As you probably know, an entire episode of "House" (the popular American TV series) was shot with a Canon 5D Mark II. This is just one example - there are many others. I'm curious when we'll see the first top of the line pro body from Nikon or Canon without a mirror. I believe it's just a matter of time (but it may take longer than some people think).

Jarle