Handled Leica S2 and X1 today

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Handled Leica S2 and X1 today

Post by NikonWeb »

I've handled the Leica S2 (pre-production model) and Leica X1 today. At $26,000, the S2 is a serious tool competing directly with Hasselblad and other medium format brands. Overall the S2 body (with a 70mm f/2.5) felt pretty good, but the shutter speed dial had a plastic feel to it. Strange. Maybe it's just me.

The X1 is an interesting camera with a very capable APS-C sensor (apparently, it's the same Sony sensor used in the Nikon D300), but costing $1995 it didn't feel as robust as expected.

I also played a little with the new Nikon D3s. Not much to say. Nikon's professional cameras are simply amazing, as they always have been :-)

Jarle
Anssi Krooks

Re: Handled Leica S2 and X1 today

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Any comments on X1's autofocus performance? I'm quite tempted to switch my D90 + 35/1.8 DX to it. Too bad it doesn't have movie mode at all.
D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

Anssi Krooks wrote:Any comments on X1's autofocus performance?
Sorry, no. Didn't test it properly, but here's some info from luminous-landscape.com:

"Autofocus on the X1 works comparably to other contrast detection AF systems. In other words, a lot slower than the phase detection systems found on DSLRs. It's also not in the same league as the system found in the Panasonic GF1, which many will see as a prime competitor to the X1, and which I'll have more to write about below.

Now – don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that the X1's AF is poor. It's just that it's on a par with just about every other small camera that uses Contrast Detection – about one second from first touch to shutter release. This would be less of a concern if it wasn't for the fact that the X1 bears the Leica red dot and looks like an M."

Source: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... ield.shtml

I'm sure the X1 is a great little camera, but I'm not yet convinced it's worth the premium price.

Jarle
Anssi Krooks

Post by Anssi Krooks »

Webmaster wrote:
Anssi Krooks wrote:Any comments on X1's autofocus performance?

I'm sure the X1 is a great little camera, but I'm not yet convinced it's worth the premium price.

Jarle
Apart from the pricepoint the X1 is the small camera with DSLR image quality I have been looking after since the launch of the original Sigma DP1. Olympus EP-1 with the 20/1.7 would be the second best choise, but it has some issues with usability and it's image quality was somewhat dissapointing (though similar with older 4/3-products). EP-1 with 20/1.7 could be mine for 899€, so the Leica premium is around 600€.
D1X, DCS PRO SLR/n, DCS 760, DCS 420c & Canon Pro70