Leica M9 - love at first light (NikonWeb article)

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Leica M9 - love at first light (NikonWeb article)

Post by NikonWeb »

Having spent a few days with the M9, I'm dreaming about a digital Nikon rangefinder (or even a FE/FM type DSLR camera). Nikon - are you listening?

http://www.nikonweb.com/m9/

Jarle
nikonnl

Re: Leica M9 - love at first light (NikonWeb article)

Post by nikonnl »

Thank you very much, Jarle, for this honest review. As you know fame is fleeting and pride goes before a fall. I think the Leica-M story has become a fairy-tale. Those that have the money to collect icons may buy one, but those that have to work day & night need a reliable tool, what Leica once was. In car industry it is the same. Rolls-Royce once presented their cars as 'the best car in the world', while a Mercedes-Benz 500SE was far better to drive. Now ask German taxi drivers about MB. The arrogant prices of Leica equipment (unfortunately) do not equal/represent the quality/utility.
I am waiting for a simple Nikon digital range finder camera or a FM2n-alike digital SLR without all those 'modern' toys, too. I am a bit puzzled why investors are still putting money in the Leitz-factory. Is it emotion? Not a keen mind.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

Thanks Nico. Glad you liked it. I'd also very much like to see a digital S mount rangefinder or a FE/FM-type DSLR - but here's another crazy idea for you:

How about a digital Nikon SP with a Leica M mount and some M mount Nikkor lenses (e.g. 24, 35, 50 and 85mm). Doing so, Nikon would achieve two things:

1) They could sell lenses to Leica users (i.e. competing with Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses)

AND

2) Make the SP-D attractive even for Leica and other M mount users (which already have the lenses they need)

Assuming Nikon could do it cheaper than Leica (shouldn't be too difficult) I think a Nikon M mount system would sell pretty well. However, I'm not convinced it would make a lot of money - which is probably the reason why they haven't done it already. I assume there's more money in low-end consumer DSLRs.

Jarle
nikonnl

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, I doubt whether Nikon is coming with any camera with a non-Nikon mount. Either a simple rangefinder or SLR camera with an AI-mount would serve all those millions of owners of expensive older Nikkor lenses, which they can't use on modern G-mount camera's. So a digital Nikon SP or FM-alike body with AI-mount but without all those snick-snacks. There is only a technical problem: how to couple the focus of an older Nikkor to a viewfinder? Live-view option may help.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:Hi Jarle, I doubt whether Nikon is coming with any camera with a non-Nikon mount.
I agree - but it's still an interesting thought. Realistically, I think the best we can hope for is a simple, manual focus FE/FM-type DSLR, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Jarle
gsandberg

Post by gsandberg »

Jarle,

I have read your comments about the M9, I have owned/handled some previous Leica's but not the M9.
I like your story and remarks.

One comment: As far as I know the original Nikon D1 has no playback zoom whatsoever, contrary to later models.

Regards, Gilbert Sandberg
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

gsandberg wrote:I like your story and remarks.

One comment: As far as I know the original Nikon D1 has no playback zoom whatsoever, contrary to later models.
Hi Gilbert,

Thanks - glad you liked it. Regarding the D1, you're absolutely right. Don't know what I was thinking. I've updated the article. Thank you.

Jarle
gsandberg

Post by gsandberg »

Jarle,
I can understand the confusion. You must have been thinking of one of the many Nikon D1 variants that you own (joke).
I have just the original D1 (grin).
Regards, Gilbert
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Add me to the list of those wanting an FM-D. I've wanted one of those since the beginning, as in the pre-E series days when there were only the early Nikon-based Kodaks (F3-D and F90-D) out there.....

I, also, will not be holding my breath for one. I'll just make-do with my F5-D units. :P

When we talk Leica, I'd love to have the bucks to overpay for an R9 and DMR - and get the upgrade of the Kodak sensor in my F5-D. It's not so much 'overpay' for the camera body and digital back. It's the price tags on the lenses to make up a kit equal to that which I have for Nikon manual-focus! ;)

The thing I loved the most about the R9/DMR combo, and presumably also on the dreamt-of FM-D as well, Is the fact one could advance the frame with the thumb lever.

With any of these modern cameras, film or digital, I feel something is seriously *wrong* without the old friend thumb lever! :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

That's really appealing to me. If it sold at around $400, I wouldn't hesitate. Unfortunately, it'll never reach that price, even on the used market.

I spend a lot of time with a D40 using manual lenses. My ideal camera (one that covers 95% of what I like to do) would be something along the lines:

D40-size chassis
Full frame
Bigger viewfinder
The mode wheel would have P, A and shutter speeds
2 or even 3 programmable buttons that could be used w/ the command wheel
Paps

Post by Paps »

As I considered it as a must for my DSLR collection, I couldn't resist to a "relatively reasonable" offer for a R9 + DMR + winder a few weeks ago, and I don't regret the effort.

This camera is really apart from the usual production and I fully agree with Stan that using the thumb lever again is a real pleasure (by the way, I taught it to the owner of 2 DMRs that probably never read the users documentation). Generally speaking, you find again the ergonomics of older film cameras, and a kind of logic such as actioning the bracketing on the motor drive.

Unfortunately, buying the body is just the beginning of the investment and the price of lenses is frightening, even if they have dropped with the abandon of the R series !!!!. For the time being I just got a classical Summicron 50mm, but I like so much the image quality that I will probably look for other ones.

Paps.