Brace of Contax N Digitals on eBay

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
Ashley_Pomeroy
antispam: No

Brace of Contax N Digitals on eBay

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

Not all that rare, but it's odd to see two at once (from different continents - one from Spain, one from California):
http://tinyurl.com/q2w88s
http://tinyurl.com/ql7yls

As always they hover around £1,600 and don't come with lenses. I wonder if there was ever e.g. an M42 - Contax N lens adapter? As I understand it the N Mount is almost the same as the EOS mount, which has a lot of adapters (and thus perhaps the old Contax / Yashica lenses could be made to fit), but I assume there was never any demand for third party Contax N Digital addons.

Of note there was also an auction a few days ago for an original Contax N Digital box(!) which went for about £5, and a while back there was a pre-production model that did not work and could not possibly be made to work that went for about £140 or so.

I wonder if there were ever any functional Pentax MZDs? They had a nice body at least.
spreefurt

Re: Brace of Contax N Digitals on eBay

Post by spreefurt »

Ashley_Pomeroy wrote:I wonder if there was ever e.g. an M42 - Contax N lens adapter?
There have never been any adapters from 35 mm systems to Contax N. Adapters are impossible because of the long flange focal distance of 48 mm. Adapters were available for Contax 645 lenses at Contax N cameras. These adapters allowed full functionallity including AF.
Ashley_Pomeroy wrote:As I understand it the N Mount is almost the same as the EOS mount, which has a lot of adapters (and thus perhaps the old Contax / Yashica lenses could be made to fit), but I assume there was never any demand for third party Contax N Digital addons.
The mount is not the same. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding because of the possibility of rebuilding Contax N lenses for Canon EF.