Long term HD storage (backup strategy)

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Long term HD storage (backup strategy)

Post by NikonWeb »

I'm currently moving files from multiple older, smaller hard drives to two 1 TB disks. One of them will be used as an on-site archive (frequent use), while the other will be moved off-site, for long term storage/backup purposes.

I consider the risk of both drives failing at the same time to be minimal, but many of the files are also stored on CDs, DVDs and on Smugmug.

Not sure if I have a question here, but just to make sure I don't miss anything I'd like to hear from others that are using similar (or completely different, for that matter) backup/long term storage strategies.

If nothing else, I'd like to remind you all to backup your irreplaceable photos. Keep in mind that an external hard drive sitting next to your computer is worthless if the house burns down.

Jarle
nikonnl

Re: Long term HD storage (backup strategy)

Post by nikonnl »

Hi Jarle, disasters are unpredictable, so 100% safety is impossible. But we can come close to that 100%. I used my winter holidays for transferring all my pictures from hundreds of cd-roms to an external 1TB hard disk. If you store this in a metal safe (in your house or bank) it may be safe against fires and magnetic radiation, as - although you do not mention it - the latter is a serious danger, too. I also store my negatives in a dry metal safe. As a ‘intermediate’ between my PC and that hard disk I use a external HD as well. BTW: Do not store personal files and pictures on a PC on which you are surfing the internet. So - in fact - you should use two PC’s.
Regards,
Nico
D1/D1X/D1H/D2H/D2X etc.
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Post by NikonWeb »

nikonnl wrote:..it may be safe against fires and magnetic radiation, as - although you do not mention it - the latter is a serious danger, too.
I've tried to find some good, qualified information on this issue. I'm sure it can be a problem, but I'm not convinced if it's a real issue for most people/circumstances.

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, physical loss is always a possibility, but not all that probable if you sit and really think about it. Not compared with data loss, anyway.

Remember, there are only two kinds of storage devices in the world: Those that have failed, and those that are going to!

You have to have multiple drives worth of backup. You can pick whatever floats your boat. But, I suggest three styles.

One, would be a hardfile array. This would be the work-a-day storage. They're fast and in a level 5 arrangement you can lose a drive in the array and recover just by replacing the bad drive. Handy, that.

Two, would be a portable drive or set of drives, depending on how much you have to back up. I'd suggest three sets, actually. One offsite for that possibility of physical loss. The other two I'd have at the main site. The reason for two is that you'd periodically backup from the array to both sets of onsite portable drives. Then, after verifying the data is good on both, take one to the offsite place and exchange it with the now-outdated backup stored there.

This way, there's always one recent hardfile-based backup offsite at all times. It'd suck to have your offsite backup on-site for updating and have the physical disaster strike at that moment!

Three, would be some sort of optical backup. I'd suggest write-only media as they're more robust long-term than read/write. These can be stored off-site as you create them. This way, you always have two sets of backup at both locations.

As far as mag fields and drives go, be careful with the vacuum cleaner. Keep the drives several feet away and *do not* ever start or stop the vacuum in the same room with the drives. Vacuums put out a large mag field when starting or stopping, yet only put out a fairly small one when running. This is the most common cause of mag field issues with mag storage media, and has been for decades.....

Now in practical terms, if you happen to have only one drive (not an array) for working media, and a set of optical discs for backup you're probably OK as far as data loss goes. Heck, even the Master of Disaster here worked that way for years. Until I had that hardfile crap out, had to get a new one, and then had to load *all those damned CDRs* back onto the new drive!!

I now have the array, three portable drives and set of CDRs with one drive and the CDRs off site. In other words, I decided to practice what I preached!!! :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer