Nikon D200 released

Discuss non-DSLR models (e.g. Coolpix cameras), other camera brands, your latest cool photography gadget, computer stuff and other photography related issues that don't fit in the Vintage Kodak and Nikon DSLR forums.
NIKON KIU

Nikon D200 released

Post by NIKON KIU »

Hello to all,
A co-worker of mine has a D70 for the last year and a half, as a result he he is not using his F100 anymore, Upon the news of the D200 he went in and put in his order with Ritz camera (Ritzcamera.com) locally here in the greater Washington, DC area.
He got a call in today that his camera arrived( although the new 18-200 VR he ordered is still not here!), called me from the store all excited telling me about it, I told him to stop by so I could see it in person.
Impressive looking camera, Big LCD screen, nice clean layout,small battery, as robust as the F100 or even more so... but here is some negatives(at a first glance).
1) The batteries are exclusive, although similar in size and shape to D70, they are not interchangeable, Nikon claims they did this to prevent third party batteries over-heating the camera! So my friends batteries from his D70 are no good in his D200!!
2) I saw that STRANGE " Made in Thailand" writing on the base :? Almost made my heart stop pounding. I thought Nikon made the cheapies(such as my N75) over there, no wonder they managed to keep it at under $1700.00.
3) The owners manual is the size of a pocket Dictionary :cry:

But for the good part, camera comes with a strap and a free LCD clear cover and my friend got his grand kid a four Mega Pixel coolpix 4800 for $175.00 :twisted:

Kiu
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Off topic: Nikon D200 released

Post by NikonWeb »

I'm sure the D200 is a great camera. I've played with it and it feels very nice, even compared to the D2X. Fast AF, nice viewfinder, robust feel, etc.

I guess the old D100 is now officially part of my vintage DSLR collection :)

Jarle