The E3 has landed.

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Brian Sweeney

The E3 has landed.

Post by Brian Sweeney »

Well, all 18lbs of my Nikon E3 in its Pelican case arrived today! The MH-16 charged up the battery and I gave everything a quick test with a small memory card. Everything worked.

And the manual is complete for it. Good thing, and I will be reading it.

The camera works with my SB-29 ring flash in TTL mode, something that my D1x's do not. That was a sad surprise for me when I received the D1x's and SB29 several years ago. Using GN with macro work is not easy and I ended up using the SB29 with film cameras only. The Nikon Rep thought it worked in TTL mode, and at some point I should buy the SB29s. OR I COULD just use my E3 and save the money! It has enough resolution for documentation work and will work fine with all of my Micro-Nikkors.

This camera looks like it had very low use, and came from a medical lab. A series of custom adapters to mount the camera to some instrument also came with it, an unused Nikon strap, and body/lens caps.

All-in-all, this is a perfect addition for a collection. I will be using it, I use all of my vintage equipment.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: The E3 has landed.

Post by NikonWeb »

Brian Sweeney wrote:This camera looks like it had very low use, and came from a medical lab.
Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal. I almost regret that I didn't get it myself. Still, I'm glad you did!

Looking forward to hear from you again when you've tested it properly.

Jarle
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

NEWSFLASH!

The E3 worked with a 256MByte "simpletech" Compact Flash card in a generic compactflash adapter! It states "199" remaining shots can be taken, but I did not shoot all the way down. The E3 also works with my 110MByte Sandisk PCMCIA ATA compatible Flashcard. So it looks like the E3 has a lot more memory options available to it. I suspect the same is true of the DS565. Worth a try!

EDIT: The DCS420c DID work with this combination after the latest Firmware upgrade. With the 1997 firmware it gave errors and would not use the card. I am glad that I retested it after upgrading the firmware. I wonder if firmware rev level plays a factor in the E2/E3 cameras as well. It could solve the mystery of some users having problems but others getting things to work.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

128 MB CF card with DS-565

Post by NikonWeb »

Brian Sweeney wrote:The E3 worked with a 256MByte "simpletech" Compact Flash card in a generic compactflash adapter!
As mentioned in another thread (E2/E3 memory cards), I've also had success using a 128 MB CF card in a Canon PCMCIA adapter with my DS-565. Great news!

Jarle