Nikon E-series stuff for-sale soon - sold

Discuss Nikon E2, E3 (incl. Fujix DS-505, 515 and 56x models), the original Nikon D1 and other discontinued Nikon DSLRs. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

Nikon E-series stuff for-sale soon - sold

Post by Stan Disbrow »

.be (begin edit)

Hi,

Well, the entire kit has gone to forum member blakehoo. He still uses these cameras on his microscopes, which I think is great. I have nothing at all against collecting, but it does make me a tiny bit happier that decent working equipment will still be used. :)

Orignally, we were talking about some parts off of my parts body to fix his, but in the end it just made more sense to me to let it all go. Especially as he lives fairly close by and we could simply meet up. :)

Later!

Stan

.ee (end edit)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm not a collector of this stuff, just someone that used it for about ten years. I have some E-series bodies and bits I'd like to unload off my shelf. After chatting with Jarle, I'm just going to put together a list of things and post it here and wait for reasonable offers.

I could put it up on eBay, but I think most of the folks that collect this series of gear are all here already. Besides, if I use eBay, then I have to deal with the 26k dial up line I have out at the farm for uploading photos. Yuck. If I list it here, I don't need photos as y'all know what the stuff is already! ;)

Stay tuned! I plan on putting up the list this weekend. Let me know if there's any real interest, though. If there isn't then I might as well go thru the pain of listing it on eBay....

Later!

Stan
Last edited by Stan Disbrow on Thu May 08, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, I have to apologize. Obviously nothing happened. I have a case of bad timing here. The weather forecast called for a rainy day on Sunday, and it held off. As it's planting season here in NC, I spent the whole day outside with the wife putting in the garden.

We'll have to plant the gourds and pumpkins (our commercial crops, along with hay) during the next couple weekends, so may not get around to this stuff for a couple of weeks after all.

I never have any time for hobbies during the week. I work a job 10-12 hours a day weekdays. The farming stuff is a weekend thing that helps the place pay for itself. Essentially, I need for there to be either nothing needing doing or a rainy day during the weekend to play with any hobby stuff.

I thought about it some more while working, though. I think I'll put each of the bits up on eBay when the time comes and just put pointers to those auctions on here at that time. I get the feeling that most folks aren't checking in here very often these days, yet they keep an eye for this stuff on the Bay. ;)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
avinoam123

in the market for an E2s /E3s

Post by avinoam123 »

in the market for an E2s /E3s

if in good looking and working condition.

avinoam123@gmail.com

any chance for a qv-1000 :D :D

pictures can be nice.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, both of mine work fine, but neither is all that nice looking. They both were used professionally, and both have cracks in their housings right by the shutter/power switch ass'y.

Being plastic housings, they didn't 'brass' (or should we change that to 'magnesium'??) but there's a thin spot in the plastic that cracks on most of these from what I've seen.

Pictures, that's another problem. Not taking them, posting them. I live in an area where dial-up is all there is, unless one wants to pay $100+ per month for a satellite link. No DSL or cable, nor will there likely ever be. It's still farm country.

Heck, it wasn't too many years ago that the party lines went away. Most of my phones are still rotary-dial as well. Tone dialing can't be used on a party line! I get all of 26k on the twisted pair, that's how far from the phone switch we are.

The odd part is that we're *three* miles from town, but 15 miles from our phone switch in a different town. The closer town is a different area code, and the boundry is this creek a mile away. So, the phone service that could provide us with DSL stops a mile from the house because when the phone lines were first being installed around 1920, they used that creek as the boundary. Talk about frustrating!

I can drive the 15 miles to our screenprinting shop where we do have DSL. That adds even more time to the process, though.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
amirza2004

nikon e2s/e2ns

Post by amirza2004 »

I will be happy to buy the E2S and E2NS if you have one. Tell me how much are you looking to sell them for?
thanks
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, I don't have a price as I don't know what they are worth. This is a problem, for sure. I figure that the only way to know is list them on eBay as then the marketplace will tell me what they are worth, which is fair enough for me.

I could ask what I paid for them, that I know. The E2 with it's stock memory card, one battery pack, charger and the battery eliminator I used with it for years cost me $750 back in 1999.

I very much doubt it's worth that now, of course, even as a collector's item.

The DS-565 with no memory card, one deceased battery pack and charger cost me $150. That's probably closer to its current value since I've only had this one a couple years. I can't even recall why I bothered to get it. I think it was because it was missing it's shutter/power switch and I figured I could fix it with one from a defunct DS-505 I picked up along the way.

Oh, and I was correct, I did fix the 565 with the switch ass'y off the 505. ;)

Both the E2 and the DS-565 work fine.

They work with the battery eliminator from the E2, that is. None of the three or four battery packs I have work any longer. Their cells are toast from age.

I have two battery chargers, one with the coaxial connector for the E2 batteries and one for the four-pin connector for the 565 battery pack.

I have one battery eliminator that works with the E2 charger. I don't know if the 565 charger has the socket for the eliminator or not. I know that the battery pack connections are different between the E2 and the 565, so maybe the eliminator is different as well. I do know that the eliminator runs both the E2 and the 565 off of the E2 charger, though, as I've done that often enough.

I have only one of the 565 packs, and I think three for the E2. I may only have two for the E2 now, as I know I pulled one apart to measure the cells for a rebuild that I never actually bought the cells for.

I have two memory cards. One is an original Nikon branded one, but it's small at 5 MB. The other is an off-brand (Microtech, I think) and it's fairly large for this era at 32 MB.

That's the list. It's not a huge amount of stuff, for sure. I was planning on listing it all by model and part numbers, but have not yet gotten around to it.

What I'm planning on now is to list each individual bit on eBay with a $1 starting bid and no reserve. Let it go for what it goes for and clear some stuff I no longer use off of my rather small photo gear shelf in the closet. ;)

Maybe this weekend. The forecast is calling for rain again. If it doesn't rain, I'll be in outside doing spring farm work again.

So, that's the story unless someone thinks that $750 is still a valid value. Hell, for that, I'll put the whole mess in a box and ship it off! I'd love to get my original money back that I paid out for the E2 back when I thought it was 'good enough' for a DSLR in face of the $5k price tag of the D1! :P :P :P

I do not, however, think that this stuff has that much value. This is the way with things electronic.

Oh, and the E2 was *not* 'good enough' to sub for the D1, which I wound up buying a few months after I got the E2. I call that my DSLR education! :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

I'll just chime in and mention that Stan is a long time forum member and all-round nice guy. I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything from him, with or without photos. The crack Stan mentioned is seen in many of these bodies (apparently a design flaw), and has been discussed here a few times before. Use the search feature for previous discussions.

I haven't really kept track of recent eBay prices, but I'd estimate the current market value for these cameras (in good condition) at approx. $150-250. Maybe more, maybe less. Always hard to tell.

Good luck!

Jarle
amirza2004

e2s/e2ns

Post by amirza2004 »

I agree with Jarle and have no problem buying the cameras from Stan without looking at them. I am not sure whether he has E2S and E2NS which I am looking desperately and if he has those cameras I can offer him $ 550-600 for both cameras so that he can avoid the hassle of going through ebay.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Sorry, and too bad, too - that's a great offer! The E2 is just that - an E2. Not the E2S with the buffer nor the improved E2N. It's the original model with no buffer worth mentioning and the slow ROS.

The other is the Fuji 565 which is equal to the E3 and has those nice things that the E2 is lacking - which is probably why I bought it in the first place! :P

I was kidding when I mentioned getting my original money back from the E2. I know better than that! Although seeing that other post on here about some other model going on eBay for over 700 pounds makes me wonder what in heck is going on over there!

Well, the forecast is for rain later tomorrow and on Sunday, so I might actually get a chance to list everything with the proper model numbers and basic condition descriptions in a list format.

Since interest is picking up here, after I post the list folks can send me offers via PM or email. Maybe I can skip the whole eBay thing. I'd like to see this stuff go to folks here, actually. Anyone who's on here has a real interest in these things. :)

eBay can be a pain at times, too. Especially with stuff most folks have little or no knowledge of. I can just see someone out there winning the auction for the *E3* and then raising Cain that they didn't get a *D3* in the box!

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Looks like all of my old E-series gear is going to find a new home to another forum member who's still using this series of cameras for photographing through a microscope.

That's another good use of this design, as the ROS can be helpful when trying to adjust the exit pupil of a scope to the film plane - it allows for more leeway and isn't as critical to adjust... ;)

It's nice to see it go where it'll still be used. :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I also posted this same message as an edit to my original post so no one has to wade thru the whole thing only to find out all the stuff is gone on to a new home. I'll still be around here, as I'm nowhere near done using Kodak DCS series gear. ;)

Well, the entire kit has gone to forum member blakehoo. He still uses these cameras on his microscopes, which I think is great. I have nothing at all against collecting, but it does make me a tiny bit happier that decent working equipment will still be used. :)

Orignally, we were talking about some parts off of my parts body to fix his, but in the end it just made more sense to me to let it all go. Especially as he lives fairly close by and we could simply meet up. :)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

Stan Disbrow wrote:I have nothing at all against collecting, but it does make me a tiny bit happier that decent working equipment will still be used. :)
Agreed. Glad you were able to find a new home for your unused stuff!

Jarle