A few older Kodak's on eBay ends 9/28

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Stan Disbrow

A few older Kodak's on eBay ends 9/28

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Here's a few DCS 400 series on eBay this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N90s-DCS460-c ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N90s-DCS420-m ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N90s-DCS460-m ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N90s-DCS420-c ... dZViewItem

All the same seller. Looks like an industrial equipment surplus house to me, given their entire list of current eBay auctions. This means that they probably truly have no idea about these things' operation, but also means that the chances are good that they can be made to work. :)

DSLRs are not test equipment, so I know these guys just read the labels and stuck them out on eBay. I've bought a lot of stuff from various equipment surplus houses, and most of the time things work fine right out of the box. :)

What'll scare you guys, is that I know what most of the things in their list are, what they're used for, and even how to use them! :p

I have dibs on the 460m. Y'all can have the rest. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: A few older Kodak's on eBay ends 9/28

Post by NikonWeb »

Hi Stan,

I can tell you're on a roll! First you want to get another old, cracked Fujix, and now you're buying old Kodaks as well? You've suddenly become one of those mad collector types?! :wink:

460m? Cool. Go get it. Let us all see some monochrome test shots!

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, I won't admit to the 'mad collector' syndrome quite yet. 8)

I can see getting a cracked 505 to (a) try and repair it, or (b) swipe a power switch from and put my now switchless E2 back in order. I suppose there is some collector thinking regarding the 505 and it's low serial number vs. the E2 and it's higher one, but that's all the 'collector' I'll admit to at this point. ;)

Well, maybe I can also see using one of the old things as a parts doner to make other units work for other collectors as well. The only problen I see with this thinking is that it appears that the E-series has a cracking issue and it's most likely to be the power switch that needs replacing, and that'll be the one part the doner unit won't have! :roll:

As far as the 460m goes, I've been looking at ebay every few days for three years looking for a Kodak 6mp mono unit that was priced right. The recent 760m didn't fit that bill. I want to try true mono against converted color mono from the 1Ds. If the 460m has the dynamic range I think it has, due to not having the CFA, then perhaps that will convince me to give someone way too much money for that 760m (as it's sensor has a much, much better S/N ratio than the sensor in the 460m). If it doesn't make the difference I think it does, then I'll be out little money - and have an older Kodak to add to the collection I'm not collecting! :?

I suppose if that happens, then I might have to get, say a D1 and a Kodak 600 series and just admit that I'm making a DSLR collection! :lol:

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Oh, I forgot. I'm also starting down the path to the *real* dark side. Leica. I'm after older Leica R lenses to use on the 1Ds with an adapter, but with an eye to eventually getting an R9 and DMR. You know how the latest-and-greatest will soon become old news, and if I have some lenses, I'll be all set for when that time comes for the R9/DMR combo! :roll:

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NIKON KIU

F3's And F's

Post by NIKON KIU »

They are selling 3 F3's and 2 F's as well!
No way of testing those as well? :roll:
These people are in my backyard, assuming its Annapolis, Maryland.
Kiu
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I presume they're in your Annapolis. If they're in your backyard with a truck full of surplus stuff, tell 'em to park a couple of truckloads in mine as well! :wink:

I doubt they can test any kind of camera. These guys go to auctions at industrial plants and buy pallets loaded with surplus equipment. They bring it in and the usual test is to plug it in and see if it comes up or not. The last I looked a Nikon F has no AC input on it, so they'd be pretty much out of luck.

The modern scheme is to just put the stuff up on eBay and resell it. They make a pretty good living this way. When I lived in New York State, there was an outfit in Kingston that had a large warehoue full of this same kind of stuff. People drove from all over to wade throught the shelves in search of goodies. I used to go there about every other week, myself.

So, these guys would figure out it's a camera pretty quickly, and then read the nameplate, and put it on eBay as is. This kind of stuff is a pig-in-a-poke. You might get a gem. You might get a piece of junk. Roll the dice and see! ;)

Personally, the Kodak units look like they were reasonably cared for. I bet the thing has a crapped out battery pack andI'll have to make a new one to even try it out. I bet after that, it works fine. I can use my super-duper microprocessor controlled lab-bench battery anaylzer as a charger until I grab a proper one off of eBay later - after I figure out if the thing works or not! ;)

Oh, and the super battery analyzer came from a surplus equipment outfit as 'untested'. Works fine. I've equipped my home electonics lab with untested stuff from surplus houses. :)

One time, I got a Hewlett-Packard 8920A 2-way radio test set ,that was worth in the $10k range, for $1200 because the guys plugged it in and it *didn't* power up. Well, I knew that the thing had a switch hidden on the back panel to select either AC (bench) or DC (repair truck) input power. If the thing is in DC and you hook up the AC cord - nothing happens. So, I bet $1200 that they didn't know about the switch and it had been set to DC for use in a service truck prior to being surplussed.

Well, guess what was wrong with it? ;) ;) ;)

Ah. Surplus equipment outfits. I love 'em!

Just don't expect them to know diddly/squat about cameras, though! :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, so much for that. The off-ebay sniping engines are working well today, I see. I see where our friend, nsxdream, is out after these things as well. However, even he got beat by a guy from Germany known as woolfiwolf. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Stan Disbrow wrote: I see where our friend, nsxdream, is out after these things as well. However,
Stan
I see he got one of the 4...
wolfie got 2...
wonder how much the old F's and F3's did?
Kiu
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Let's see here.....

Nikon F's: $89.99, $98.77

Nikon F3: $102.50, No Bids, No Bids

Kodak 460m: $271.66
Kodak 460c: $192.39
Kodak 420c: $129.99
Kodak 420m: $139.99

Hmmm. The digitals are going for more than the film, even in the surplus market. That seems odd to me, but there you have it. ;)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
NIKON KIU

HERE IT IS!!

Post by NIKON KIU »

Is this the one he just bought?
http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-DCS-460-C-6MP ... dZViewItem
Looks like he checks them out, keeps the decent ones and sells the junk....I guess we all do that to upgrade.
I am pretty sure he looks in here too!!
Welcome!!!!
Kiu
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: HERE IT IS!!

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:Is this the one he just bought?
Yes, probably the same one.

Since this particular seller has been mentioned here a few times, I'd just like to add that I bought a very nice Kodak NC2000E (the AP camera) from him a few weeks ago. Fair price (Buy it now) and excellent condition. One of the cleanest NC2000's I've ever seen. Seller was very helpful, polite and professional. No problems whatsoever. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again.

Much of his stuff is overpriced, in my opinion, but it's an expensive hobby. I don't blame him. As we all know, any item is worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Also, as far as I can tell, his descriptions are accurate and correct. He's got 550 positive feedbacks, only 1 neutral and 0 negative over the past 4.5 years. He's got to do something right.

Sounds like I'm doing advertising here. I'm not. Just trying to be fair.

Jarle