Reviving Kodak DSU

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
DENNO
antispam: No

Reviving Kodak DSU

Post by DENNO »

First of all I wish all of you a happy and prosperous new year!

I am trying to bring an old Kodak DSU back to life. Thing is I am missing the PSU. So I am trying to power it up by battey but not every battery is the same! :x Let me show you what I mean in the attached picture. I have troubles inserting the darker battey to the left (which I bought new on Amazon).

So my first question goes out to all the battery experts:

1. What batteries DO fit? What batteries are equivalent to the original Kodak?
2. Can anyone post a picture of the original Kodak battery that came with the DSU? (along with the specs)
3. With what voltage and ampere and for how long does one charge such a battery? (2A, 16-19V?)

Then there is the missing power supply. Unfortunately the DSU terminal is not exactly one off the shelf. So here are a bunch of questions for Autek PSU owners:

1. can someone post a detailed picture of the connector at the end of the cable? (next to the gold metal socket there are inscriptions I want to read)
2. Can someone tell me the pin assignment of the socket that is on the DSU? (I think the gold metal pin in the middle is + and the rest -)

Last question on my agenda is:

1. Can someone post a step-by-step guide on how to take the DSU apart without breaking anything? (the one I have is in pristine condition and I don't want to spoil that condition by pulling on things with too much strength .

Thank you all for your time

Dennis
DENNO

Re: Reviving Kodak DSU

Post by DENNO »

No answers....hmmm weird :?
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, I can answer that I never had a DSU so don't know what was used in one. As far as charging the battery goes, you have the ratings listed but not the chemistry. Are those NiCd or Lead-acid gel-cell? I doubt they are of any of the other possible chemistries of the era.

If NiCd, which I am betting it is, then set a bench power supply for 21 volts at 150 mA and let it slow charge. If lead-acid set it to 19 volts at 100 mA for slow charge. You really do need an electronics lab bench supply because they let you set both voltage level and current limit.

Something like: http://www.frys.com/product/4592117?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG:

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
DENNO

Post by DENNO »

Not exactly what I was hoping to read but thanks anyway Stan. Great to see someone alive in this Forum :wink: