Kodak DCS200 IR on eBay

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
nik0web

Kodak DCS200 IR on eBay

Post by nik0web »

I've listed my Infrared DCS200 on eBay. I don't usually take advantage of the site to plug my items. I sold a couple DCS 100's a little over a year ago and some ascessories for it without plugging them here. But I think this camera is a little more unusual than they are.

We tore down our house to the foundation expecting a loan which wasn't approved because we had started demolition, so we're short on cash. We're at the point where the trim carpentry is being done. I think the only thing we need is to hook up the plumbing before we get an occupancy permit.

I made a comment about how the camera can be attached to either a PC or MAC, and the implications that has on the cameras file system on the HDD. I'd appreciate some criticism here, if you wish.

Thank you,

John
Keep your mirror up!
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Kodak DCS200 IR on eBay

Post by NikonWeb »

Not sure if I understand your description (sounds like expected behaviour to me?), but for future reference or discussion, I've taken the liberty to paste it here:

"This is for an almost nonexistant Kodak DCS 200 Digital Camera, the infrared model. This is sold with a Nikon body cap and the handstrap, nothing else, no batteries. It's used so there is some dust, scuffs and scratches. As shown in the images I've tried to test this. You can see that the camera's top LCD screen works. The rear display panel also works as shown. There were some images on the internal 2 1/2" hard drive and I fired off a couple more. So the shutter and so forth in the camera does work. When I took a picture the frame counter incremented and when I hit the delete button the counter decrements. However unless I take another picture the frame count stays where it was if I shut the camera off and then turn it back on. I spent a lot of time trying to resolve in my mind why this would be. While pondering this it occured to me that if I take pictures and then take the camera and cable it to a MAC with a SCSI cable I could see the images there. But if instead I attach the camera to a PC it also allows me access to the images. WHY I thought. I'm therefore assuming that when you install the Kodak software the software is accessing the pictures on the camera and not the OS. I went thru wondering if FAT on a PC and HFW from Macintosh were so similar as to be interchangeable. I don't believe that. From my mainframe experience if Univac did something one way then IBM did it the same except backwards. So it's my opinion that this is a working example of a very rare version of the DCS 200."

Good luck with the sale.

Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Jarle

If this is expected behavior then all is fine.

I wasn't sure if what was happening during a delete was normal. It sure wouldn't be if I delete a file on my PC. Am I correct in assuming that the Kodak software does the file functions and not the OS? I could assume that during a write in the camera the camera does the write. But can I read the camera's hard drive using the OS without having Kodaks software installed?
Keep your mirror up!
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

nik0web wrote:Am I correct in assuming that the Kodak software does the file functions and not the OS?
I've never used the DCS 200 myself, but I think that's correct. Some clues from the DCS 200 manual, chapter 3-34:

"..once attached to the DCS 200 Camera, the hard disk no longer functions as a general-purpose hard disk ... Instead, you can only access image data with the supplied software drivers".

Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Thanks for the response and the research. But then when attached to the computer, I'd guess the same would apply? It's not a general purpose harddrive? This is important if you're trying to get a drive to work on your computer and assume that you can use it from FAT on your PC or similarly from your MAC.
Keep your mirror up!