I once had a 460c

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
dburger

more dcs460c woes

Post by dburger »

Here's the latest report of inability to get results...I purchased an Argus 2500 type III ATA protocol internal PCMCIA card reader; installed it into the Sony Vaio running WP Home edition; got no results trying to read the calluma card with 5 shots on it; I suspect the camera is functioning fine with the calluma card which has been previously used and properly formatted by whoever owned the camea before me; in the computer, the card reader indicator light doesn't even light up indicating the presence of a card in it; I tried 4 other cards and no light; if the card and the reader are not compatible the light won't go on according to Argus TS; NEXT I purchased a PCMCIA card adapter for compact flash cards; put in a previously used 128mb card which gave an E7 error when I tried to shoot and save to it which I assume has to do with its previously being used in another digital camera and having some sort of formatting on it which makes it incompatible with the 8 bit FAT of the 460 trying to write to it; I then purchased a brand new 512 mb card which seemed to be working properly with the adapter in the camera; when I put it into the camera's card slot the back screen showed it was empty and had 80 shots available; but upon shooting the first shot the camera tried to write to it, the 'card ready' red light flashed as it tried to write to the card, and then it crapped out and produced an E2 error ["failure of the pcmcia card to start."]. Do I have to format this card before using? If so, how? Any bright ideas would be appreciated. I'd still like to use this camera so I'm not giving up just yet. thanks again, david.
dburger

460c woes addendum

Post by dburger »

I just found the thread about card reading problems and I guess from Stan's post I may be having the 'above 512mb when formatted' issue so I'll try a new 128mb card next and see if that works.
precertvideo
antispam: No

Post by precertvideo »

If it helps I remember reading somewhere that compact flash cards will only work with the latest firmware version. (These are still available for download from the Kodak site)

Problems you might have:
1. To check the current version you need to get as far as the "aquire image" stage in Photoshop (or whatever you are using) This tells you the version, along with all the other info for that shot.

2. To update the firmware you need to connect via SCSI.... :evil:

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9
dburger

more 460c woes

Post by dburger »

Thanks for the helping hands, but no luck so far; I finally received my new 256 mb cf card (should be below the 520 mb limitation, no?)(or is this a 8 vs 16 bit issue and I should go lower to a 128 mb card??) and with the adapter put it into the camera; the camera read it, reported it empty (on the little screen) with 80 shots available, but when I fired off the first shot it lit up the red flashing indicator and after a few seconds reported E2. My understanding is that no formatting is needed here on a blank cf card; am I mistaken?? I have no way (that I know of) to get to the photoshop scsi link for firmware changes; I am trying to either use a newer card (type) or read the old callunacard which seems to be working fine but I can't get the images off. Any suggestions for the next try?? thanks again, david.
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Hi,

In my experience the thing to do is try as many combinations of cards and adapters as possible. CF to PCMCIA card adapters vary in their acceptability to DCS cameras too. I have 2 PCMCIA adapters and a dozen or so CF cards of various sizes and brands. One of the PCMCIA adapters is a Kodak one, which interestingly NEVER works with any DCS I have tried it in, with any card. The other is a brand sold in Australia as RIDATA, it works pretty consistently across DCS models with exactly one of my CF cards, a 64 MB one also branded RIDATA. It also works in some cameras with a 128 MB card marked Toshiba on the edge and originally sold by Dick Smith Electronics. CF cards that do not work reliably for me in any DCS include Viking and Lexar 256 MB cards, Nikon 8 and 16 MB cards, Sandisk 1 GB, Kodak 48 MB, and a couple of other older ones.

So, try lots of combinations. If you know people who have this sort of gear, try their cards. Good luck.

Ross
dburger

MORE 460c

Post by dburger »

Your advice rings true. I just received and tried a new Sandisk cf256mb and lo and behold the camera accepted it and I got a couple of images back!! Now on to the next problem#1--the images are very large 6+mb files in a TIFF format; that's okay; but the image sizes in the computer come up less than 2 inches square and break up when they are enlarged in Photoshop; problem #2--they are black and white images! no color. Does this mean the sensor is shot or there is some formatting issue or what?? thanks again, david.
dburger

MORE 460c

Post by dburger »

Knuckahaid revisited....as I suspected, and confirmed by the expert advice of the wonderful people at Kodak tech support, the above problems were due to operator error! I have the answer to my own problem(s)-- Once the cal files are placed in the directory with the images, and the Twain module (which I now understand operates as a program within the Adobe program) I can import and read the images as Tiff files (which are actually a proprietary Kodak tiff file, as I understand it) and then manipulate them within the Photoshop program and convert them to jpegs without any loss from the originals. Thus they are now sitting comfortably in my new IMAC and they are beautiful!!! Hallelujah, brothers and sisters, I have seen the light and it is good...thanks to all, and to all-- a good night. david.
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Those 460 files are in a Raw format. You can also use the current Photoshop CS with its' raw converter to process the Kodak Raw files.

This will give you a lot more post-processing control than the original method offered. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Dang thing got posted twice.....

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer