Sinar DCS 465

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Ashley_Pomeroy
antispam: No

Sinar DCS 465

Post by Ashley_Pomeroy »

There's a Sinar DCS 465 on eBay, with a starting bid of £418, number 230376174831. From Singapore. I'm not sure if the Kodak DCS 465 and the Sinar DCS 465 are the same camera; or whether the Sinar model is a Kodak DCS 465 in a certain configuration. It has "Sinar DCS 465" on the front and looks like a piece of sci-fi equipment. It has a screen, although I'm not sure if this is a typical post-capture review screen or some kind of simple preview display that uses a small separate video feed. I surmise that Sinar took the DCS 465 body and sensor and built a self-contained camera around it. It comes with an Olympus OM 50mm f/1.8.

I can't find very much about the DCS 465 on the internet, presumably because it was even more expensive and esoteric than the DCS 460. Here's an article in German, although it doesn't seem to be specifically about the camera:
http://www.culture-nature.com/chris_wit ... al/ed8.htm

All I know is that it was a medium format back built around the six megapixel M6 sensor, presumably using the full width of the sensor without being e.g. masked to square format. I have absolutely no intention of bidding on it and I can't see it being of any practical use for any purpose; it seems like one of those things that, in a rational world, you would have to pay someone to take away from you.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Sinar DCS 465

Post by NikonWeb »

The unit sold on eBay is a Sinar camera with a Kodak DCS 465 digital back. Using a suitable adapter, the 465 back could be mounted on several different medium format cameras, including Mamiya, Hasselblad, Sinar, etc. About 200 units were made.

Don't know if you've seen it, but you'll find the original user manual on Kodak's website: ftp://ftp.kodak.com/web/service/manuals/dcs/8b4724.pdf

Notice that Kodak also made other (i.e. newer) "medium format" backs, including the DCS Pro Back (2000) and the DCS Pro Back 645 (2002) - both used the 16 megapixel (4080x4080) M11 sensor.

Jarle