Just got a DCS-420c

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
30Cal

Just got a DCS-420c

Post by 30Cal »

I saw an offer on Craigslist for a DCS-420c in my area for $80 and after a little research, quickly became fascinated enough to take a first hand look. I have been using a Nikon D40x for about a year with strictly manual lenses (non metering) and this big old camera really appealled to me.

The seller showed up with it fully charged and everything seemed to be working fine (except the 128MB Sandisk CF card I brought). I bought the camera plus the 2GB Transcend CF card & CF Adapter that he'd been using.

No issues with reading the files. I've been using the Adobe DNG converter (a stand-alone .exe that comes zip'd with the free Camera Raw) as well as the program posted here.

Overall, I really impressed. Most of the DCS420 photos I've seen on the internet are small and deeply magenta colored. With the hot mirror filter, the colors are fairly well-behaved and the sharpness is breathtaking, even when viewed full screen.

I'm also fortunate that the battery seems to be doing pretty well. I'v gotten over 200 shots in the past three days before the meter showed less than a full charge.

Now, I've been using my SB28 in non-TTL Auto mode with my D40x and it's easy. I can't really say that about using it with the 420c. Still trying to figure out how to get the exposure close without bracketing by 3 stops in both directions.

Some pictures (viewable at full size too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30cal/sets ... 333138614/

Ty
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Just got a DCS-420c

Post by NikonWeb »

A very good price for what sounds - and seems - like a great camera. Some of your flickr DCS 420 photos are really impressive! Seems like the hot mirror filter makes all the difference in the world (I don't have one).

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Have fun!

Jarle
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

The more I use this camera, the more impressed I am with it. There's so much about it that I really like:
1. It's a film camera with one button for digital stuff--no menus!! :D
2. It's reaaaaaally sharp!
3. Some really interesting colors in sunlight conditions (like faded film prints).
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

Looks like I spoke too soon.

I think the CF card is expiring, which might be tied to the reformat I did from my XP machine. The card's available room goes down, but there are no files showing up, so I had to go through a couple different utilities before I found one that would pick up the .tif files. PC Inspector File Recover and Handy Recover both failed. CardRecovery does the job.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Post by NikonWeb »

30Cal wrote:I think the CF card is expiring, which might be tied to the reformat I did from my XP machine.
Generally speaking, you should always format your memory cards in camera, not on a computer. From the DCS manual:

"Your PCMCIA card must be (DOS) formatted by the camera."

Jarle
30Cal

Post by 30Cal »

Webmaster wrote:
30Cal wrote:I think the CF card is expiring, which might be tied to the reformat I did from my XP machine.
Generally speaking, you should always format your memory cards in camera, not on a computer. From the DCS manual:

"Your PCMCIA card must be (DOS) formatted by the camera."

Jarle
Yep. I'm looking around for a cheap computer now to plug it into. Otherwise, I may end up bringing my cards with me to Norway this summer.

ETA: I bought a new battery. I had been getting a horizontal bar on the top part of the photo, usually, but not always in the same spot. I also noticed it took just 5 min or so till the battery stopped charging.

With the new battery, and CF cards formatted on my Nikon D1x, everything works perfectly.