Holy cow - DSU sold for $262

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Holy cow - DSU sold for $262

Post by NikonWeb »

eBay item 220151046947 - 32MB Digital Storage Unit sold for $262.11, 4 bids.

Description: "This is a nice kodak dcs digital storage unit 5 batteries charger and cables 32mb excellent condition working."

In July 2005, a DSU was sold for $76. Another DSU was relisted several times, and the starting price was lowered each time. I think it was down to $49 when I last saw it.

$262 sounds excessive to me, but I guess if you really need it..

Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

April 2008: Another DSU on eBay

Post by NikonWeb »

Another one for sale now. Item 230237250507. Buy it now for $249.99, if anyone is desperate enough. May or may not work:

"I do not have a Power supply to test this unit properly, So it is for sale AS IS. However it is in great shape and comes with the case as well."

UPDATE: Sold with a Best Offer of US $200.00

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Well, that may be the truth - no power supply to test it with.

However, I always presume that the thing is DOA when deciding on my bid amount.

In reality, it probably is DOA and has been for quite a while and that's how the thing wound up on eBay. :P

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Ross_Alford

re--no power supply to test it with

Post by Ross_Alford »

I am completely with Stan on this. I never bid on anything on eBay where the vendor says something like that, unless I want it for parts, or am genuinely happy to have it even if it doesn't work. It seems like a far too handy way for sellers to try inflate the price of something that is broken.

I have repeatedly seen sellers advertising one, say, Nikon D1, as "working condition unknown, no battery to test it with" and halfway down the page, a second one as a complete working kit with battery and charger. One or the other of those is not true, or the seller has a staggeringly bad imagination, and hasn't thought of trying the first one out with the battery for the second.

This list has been very quiet lately. I have two more E series Nikons sitting with the relatives on the USA waiting to pick up, but it will be ages before I get my hands on them to report on. Is nobody else even acquiring any "new" cameras?

Cheers,
Ross
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

You know, I was thinking the same thing yesterday - not much going on here lately.

Personally, I'm not a collector in reality. I'm just an old fool that picked up an E2 for $750 way back when the D1 was still the hot ticket for $5,000! :p

When this board was started, I was still using my original E2 as a product shot camera for VGA sized images for a website.

I have a pile-o-bits for the Nikon E / Fuji DS series that I really ought to catalog and sell off to the collectors that really want the stuff. I haven't used any of it in at least a year now.

Of course, this is the Kodak side of the board, so I ought to state that I'm still happily using an old 560 with a pile of Canon, Nikon, Leica and Zeiss glass as my main camera. ;)

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: re--no power supply to test it with

Post by NikonWeb »

Ross_Alford wrote:This list has been very quiet lately.
Yes, it's been quiet lately. Not a big surprise, really. We're a small group of people discussing a limited number of relatively rare camera models :)

Personally, I've already got everything I "need" (..until the next interesting thing comes along).

The last camera I bought - in December last year - was a pretty Nikon SP rangefinder from 1957:

I've considered creating another forum category ("Modern cameras", "Other stuff", or something like that), but I'm not convinced the world needs yet another forum. I'm not really concerned about forum traffic or volume (but keep in mind that we have more readers than posters).

The most important thing is that we have a place to ask questions and collect useful information for ourselves and future vintage DSLR owners. I think we're all doing a pretty good job. Thanks!

Jarle