my small collection

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Wolfi

my small collection

Post by Wolfi »

hi all,

I really like the DCS cameras.

I have

DCS200c (needs firmware replacing)
DCS420c (back only, not yet tested)
DCS420m (firmware? corrupr due to microdrive fail)
DCS460m (great camera!!! from 8 to 6400 ISO, stunning IR pics)
DCS460c (I love it, easy to use, NO screen behind, just point and shoot)
DCS315 (needs some electrical fixing in the battery tray)
DCS720x (fell on the ground, dead?)
DCS760c (the best mecanical camera in the world)
DCS465c (Sinarcam with a live 10"screen, should arrive this week)

Leaf DCBI three shot
Leafscan 35
Leaf microlumina

Tell me what you have, these cameras should be considered as real collection items :)

I'd like to share some experience with others

all the best
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

I have been using a 560c for a long while, and have recently picked up a couple 'bad' 760c units and have made one working one out of the two.

I'm still looking for a 660m. I figure I can get a 660m much easier than a 760m since Kodak made more of the mono 660's than they did 760's, not that the 660m is easy to find as a result!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Hi Stan,

I'd love to try a 560c and I think that I'll also get a 520, amazing cameras.

Perhaps is there any hope to wake my DCS720x? It fell on the ground, everything is working, except it seems that it records white images with nothing on them.

I would very much like to use it again, I love the 400/6400ISO.

I know of a DCS760 in germany, but I don't think that he wants to sell it, sigh, I'll write him a mail.

I would also be interested in a 660m .... Not for the moment, I've just bought the 465 sinarcam which has the same sensor than the 460c it seems to me. It is a digital back specially build on and by sinar and it has Olympus mount.

I'm just discovering the 460m which I couldn't use because it accepted only callunacards, now it works fine with microdrives.

Of course, a 660m........

All the best

alex
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

The 560c is interesting for me because the Canon body will accept Nikon, Zeiss and Leica manual focus lenses (with adapters, of course).

Now, all Canon DSLRs will do the same thing, but the Kodak offers a (to me) much better color rendition than anything else. It looks like Kodachrome, and that's probably not much of a surprise to anyone, is it? :)

Oh, and the thing will use Canon AF lenses of course, and the addition of a 760c is to do the same with Nikon AF lenses. It's also easier to use the 760c with Nikon manual lenses, since one doesn't need to use stop-down metering. :)

As far as monochrome goes, I stopped looking so hard for a 660m or a 760m (and even a 460m) once I found a plug-in for photoshop that does a wonderful job of B&W conversion from the color raw files. This does not offer the dynamic range of the mono bodies, of course, but then does allow one to play with various color B&W filters after the fact (since all the color information is present, this is easy). It's a trade-off, but I'm fairly content with making it.

As far as your 720x goes, Kodak uses a backplane board with plug-in sub-boards, much like computers do. They didn't use the much harder to deal with flex film circuitry that Nikon and Canon use. So, what I think may well have happened, is that the impact forced loose a board-to-board connection inside. If you can get it apart (and back together), try pulling the sub-boards from the backplane board and re-inserting them. bet it fixes the thing. :)

I had a 720x for a while and gave it up as a bad job since the odd color filter array used to gain the ISO speed made for some oddball color response that I just plain didn't like.

Later!

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

DCS200ir.

Does your DCS460m still have the how mirror on the sensor?
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Hi all,

That sounds interesting, the 560c accepts nikon, zeiss and Leica lenses with an adapter. I would very much like to use an old Leica M 50mm 1:1,4 Summilux, may I focus up to infinity?

I know there are some problems with the nikon cameras and leica M because of the focal distance. Which zeiss lenses would mount on the 560c? I've also read that sigma lenses fit on canons. That would be a great camera then.

I would also like to try the 460m with a three filter wheel which I have from a DCBI, how can I manage to superpose the images in raw format.

Thanks for the hint on repairing the 720x. I'll take it apart and check the connections. What do you mean by odd filter array? I would very much like to understand how the 720x gets up to 6400ISO, and why there are no other cameras actually which offer such high ISO settings.

Hi Brian,

How do I tell if the hot mirror filter is on the 460m?

All the best

Alex
Brian Sweeney

Post by Brian Sweeney »

It's been a while since I signed on!

The Hot Mirror Filter has a noticeable Magenta cast to it, and will reflect Magenta. It cuts about 99% of the IR. Some CCD's made by Kodak had a removable cover plate, others were epoxied on. The latter cannot be removed.