callunacards, vipercards, microdrives & compact flash et

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Wolfi

callunacards, vipercards, microdrives & compact flash et

Post by Wolfi »

Hi all,

Great forum, I'm happy to be here with you again.

I own several DCS cameras. some of them didn't accept anything else than these fat callunacards.

Si I bought some on internet. but it's hard to find a reader for these things as they are bigger than the usual pcmcia cards. I managed to find a viking ATA card reader which works via USB. I had to cut out the upper part, otherwise the callunas are too thick.

the problem is that the reader only works with OS9 (I'm on a mac) and win 95/98 with a pc.

some time ago I bought a DCS 420m monochrome which came with an IBM microdrive and adapter. It worked fine !

So I thought that I could replace the horrible callunas with IBM microdrives. I bought 4 on internet, 3 340Mo and one 1Go. The 1 Go does not work, I supposed this before, and I'll use it in my 760c.

I'm very happy, because now I can use my DCS460m too.

My only problem is that the DCS 420m and DCS 460m do not accept compact flash.

I would like to change the firmware as the DCS 420m has problems, but I don't know how to proceed, I'm absolutely ignorant in computers.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: callunacards, vipercards, microdrives & compact flas

Post by NikonWeb »

Wolfi wrote:My only problem is that the DCS 420m and DCS 460m do not accept compact flash.
I've successfully used Compact Flash cards in a standard PCMCIA adapter with my DCS 420 and NC2000. No problem, except that you may have to try a few different cards before you find one that works. Typically, the smaller, older cards will work better than the later, bigger models.

Hope this helps.

Jarle
Wolfi

Post by Wolfi »

Thanks Jarle,

I have compact flash cards which work fine in my DCS460c, but the same cards won't work at all with the 420m and 460m.

I suppose that this is due to the firmware version, they accept callunacards and microdrives.

Unfortunately I don't know how to change the firmware

alex
canonfantom

Post by canonfantom »

Hi Wolfi,
I had the same problem with (Canon) DCS-1 , 3 and 5 bodies.
After searching a long time for callunacards (often not working) I found out, that the old DCS bodies worked great with Kingston and Toshiba-Flashcards. No Problems up to 2 GB (no bigger ones tested). I dont know how Nikon bodies behave.
regards, Thomas