DCS charger info/DCS error codes/Canon DCS

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
precertvideo
antispam: No

DCS charger info/DCS error codes/Canon DCS

Post by precertvideo »

Having just bought two older DCS's recently without chargers, I thought this might be helpful to other people in this position.

This is for DCS-410/420 & EOS*DCS-5 and others that use the ELPAC MI2815 charger.
Socket as seen looking at the back of the camera.

The input needs to be a regulated 15 volts, 1.9 amps. Just connect the +ve and -ve leads and it charges as normal (with bar graph on the LCD) For God's sake don't blame me when you blow up your camera/house/cat/anything else...
------------------------------------------------

For reference these are the error codes from the DCS-410/420 manual:

For the problems below, remove and reinsert the PCMCIA card and try again. If unsuccessful, do a “sleep/awake” sequence: let the
camera back sleep (disconnect the AC adapter from the camera back, shut down the computer if connected, and disconnect the camera back from the computer), reconnect and try again. If you continue to have problems format the PCMCIA card with the Format button on the driver Camera Control panel (this will erase all images and sound files from the card). If the problem persists, contact Kodak; report the number of the error condition.

E2 – failure of the PCMCIA card to start.
E3 – failure when attempting to read the PCMCIA card.
E4 – failure when attempting to write to the PCMCIA card.
E5 – defective card, a non-ATA card, or a card that does not work. (Refer to the read-me on the driver diskette for a list of supported cards.)
E6 – unformatted PCMCIA card.
E7 – defective card, a non-ATA card, or a card that does not work. (Refer to the read-me on the driver diskette for a list of supported cards.)
------------------------------------------------

And this is probably the wrong question to ask on a Nikon forum :oops: , but does anyone know if there is a Canon version of this site, or will I get away with discussing it here? I have an EOS*DCS-5 which seems to be pretty much a DCS-420 with the Canon body (same sensor, etc.) although it looks more modern with it's rubber wrapped body.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Last edited by precertvideo on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Not the wrong place at all. This would also be the place to discuss the Canon-based Kodak DCS units, even though the sister forum is all about the Nikon DSLRs (and there's no Canon DSLR forum to go with it).

The digital aspect of these things is all Kodak's doing, so it would fit in nicely. Then, too, my main camera is a Kodak DCS 560, which is Canon based and was also sold thru the Canon pipeline as the D6000.

Each of the Nikon-based Kodak DCS models, with the exception of the DCS-100 and DCS-760, had a Canon EOS-1 based counterpart. In the case of the 760, when that one was coming out, Canon had decided to cease supplying Kodak with EOS bodies so that the Kodak units would no compete with Canon's new-at-that-time EOS-1D mk-I. In the beginning, with the DCS-100, the market had yet to be established, so I figure that's why Kodak only offered the Nikon F3 at the time.

Now, I don't know how many members here use the Canon-based Kodaks, but you have at least one person to chat with about them. :)

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: DCS charger info/DCS error codes/Canon DCS

Post by NikonWeb »

precertvideo wrote:And this is probably the wrong question to ask on a Nikon forum :oops: , but does anyone know if there is a Canon version of this site, or will I get away with discussing it here?
Hi Jonathan and welcome. Feel free to discuss the old Canon DSLRs as well. No problem. In fact, I have a Canon RC-760 myself..

Jarle
precertvideo

Post by precertvideo »

Those are great shots of the older Canon-I've not seen one close up before. I'll be keeping another eye open for one of those...

Funny that neither Canon or Kodak list the DCS-5 on their websites-only the 1 and 3-maybe it's the bad relation? I was looking for the latest firmware as it won't read a CF card (in an adaptor) and I thought this might help (incase anyone knows it's currently 072495)
DCS serial no. survey
RC-760, EOS-1D & Ds Mk I, II, III, EOS*DCS-3, 5, DCS, DCS-200ci, 420, 460, D1, D1H & X, D2H & X, E2, F, F2, F3, F4, MVC-2000, 5000, 7000, RD-175, 3000, EF 50mm f/1.0, Audi S2, Porsche 911, GSX-R1000 K9