to what kind of computer was intended the DCS 100 to conect?

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
Camnut

to what kind of computer was intended the DCS 100 to conect?

Post by Camnut »

Today i was just wondering this...

Kodak cameras were "de facto" intended to connect to an Apple computer. (Drivers and SCSI)

I just wondering back in 1991 to what Apple model the DCS was more like to tether? I supose to a B&W Macintosh no...

I supose the wanna-be DCS host computer may need a 24 bit color monitor with at least 800X600 pixel This is naturaly a bit far of the average toaster style Macintosh. But i cannot figure what comp. to use...
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: to what kind of computer was intended the DCS 100 to con

Post by NikonWeb »

Camnut wrote:Kodak cameras were "de facto" intended to connect to an Apple computer. (Drivers and SCSI)
Actually, the kit (at least mine) came with both Mac and PC software. Some info from the original DCS manual:

"Required Computer Hardware:

Apple Macintosh II computer product lines, or the Macintosh LC computer, with sufficient memory to run Adobe Photoshop. Hard disk, 20 MB minimum. We recommend 80 MB or greater."

..or:

"The Kodak DCS will function with any 80286, 80386, 80386sx, 80486, or 80486sx computer with a minimum 4 MB RAM. We strongly recommend a minimum computer configuration of a 20 MHz 80386sx with 8 MB RAM."

Jarle
Camnut

Post by Camnut »

Many thanks Jarle, i suposed this, but i found a Mac2 too slow to work with those pics. I supossed a Quadra 900, but was launched almost a year after the design of DCS.

A small question... ¿You can take pictures winding the camera with the lever instead of using the motor drive? You know how addicting can be to wind a camera...
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DCS trigger

Post by NikonWeb »

Camnut wrote:A small question... ¿You can take pictures winding the camera with the lever instead of using the motor drive?
No, I don't think so.

In any case you'll need to trigger the camera using the winder, so it would be very impractical to use the camera's film advance lever.

Jarle