Ebay:Nikon N90s w/ Kodak DCS NC2000E for $65

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NIKON KIU

Ebay:Nikon N90s w/ Kodak DCS NC2000E for $65

Post by NIKON KIU »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-N90s-w-Kodak- ... dZViewItem
4 available...almost 4 days left(Jarle and his 9 hour notices! :cry: )
I think this is the cheapest way of getting into digital Nikon collecting :D
How much were these things new?
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Ebay:Nikon N90s w/ Kodak DCS NC2000E for $65

Post by NikonWeb »

According to the excellent NC2000 article at www.robgalbraith.com , the camera was first sold for US$17,950 when introduced in 1994:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_ ... -6463-7191

This article is a must read for Nikon/Kodak DSLR collectors. Very informative.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

the camera was first sold for US$17,950 when introduced in 1994:
That's what I am talking about!
This is the ultimate in Hybrid technology :roll: ...if I am not mistaken, all you need is a regular back(I think the N8008 back fits too) and you'll have a fully working film camera as well!
Hey, The N90s is worth that by itself.
I think I am talking myself into buying one of these :wink:
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Hybrid body

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote: ...if I am not mistaken, all you need is a regular back
Correct. It's an unmodified film body attached to a digital back/bottom. Only difference is a black frame on the focusing screen, indicating the camera's crop factor, which is comparable to later Nikon DSLR's:

"Its size gave the NC2000 a focal length conversion factor officially listed as 1.5X (but actually 1.6X if measured on the format diagonal). Unlike most current digital SLR models, the sensor was also proportioned differently than a 35mm film frame. Its aspect ratio was closer to 5:4, as compared to the 3:2 shape of 35mm cameras."

(Again, the above information is taken from the NC2000 article at robgalbraith.com)

Jarle
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

It seems to me that there is a bit of a custom on this system of telling people when you're interested in an eBay item--I'm interested in these, and intend to bid on one, although following my usual custom I will probably not bid until as close as I can get to the last minute. I will only do that if they stay relatively inexpensive, if they go very high I won't bid. It looks like it's a Dutch auction, anyway, and I'm not quite sure how those work, and I am not suggesting that anyone should refrain from bidding, just signalling that I probably will.
NIKON KIU

Dutch Auctions

Post by NIKON KIU »

It looks like it's a Dutch auction, anyway, and I'm not quite sure how those work
The way dutch auctions work is as follows:
in this case there are 4 items available, say we get 5 bids as follows.
Bid 1 $65.00
bid 2 $68.00
bid 3 $65.00
bid 4 $70.00
bid 5 $75.00
In this case athough, the first and third bidders have the same bid amount, the 3rd bidder would get kicked out by the fifth bidder because the first bidder put his bid in before the third bidder! as ebay says:
If you and another bidder placed the same bid amount, the earlier bid takes priority. So in this case, an early bid MIGHT be advantegous!
Now, if a 6th bidder comes in and bids $70.00 his bid prevails because he has higher bid! So, as a result the first bid of $65.00 gets kicked out...
Pretty simple.
OK, we have one potential buyer...anybody else want to bid?
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Up to $75.51
Some buyer came in and put a bid on all 4 of them!
Here is the ebay page explaining Dutch Auctions:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buyer-multiple.html
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
Camnut

Post by Camnut »

The seller says "No Battery'!! :shock:

This means he gutted away the cameras seeking anything to sell apart/reddem for a booze bottle. :shock: :shock:

In the AP/400 series the battery is hard bolted inside the body, remove them inply disembowling the camera. What gaves me serious doupt they will work anymore
drummond93

Batteries

Post by drummond93 »

Actually, I imagine the seller is unfamiliar with these cameras and doesn't realize that the battery is "hard-wired" inside the digital back.... he certainly doesn't appear to have dis-assembled them just to get the battery. From the outside, an casual user would not see any battery and hence, state "No battery".

I'm guessing the batteries are still there- just discharged and needing to be charged to be used.. (although their charge wouldn't be that of a new battery, I've yet to find a DCS camera with a "Bad" battery- just several whose batteries won't fully charge any more.
Ross_Alford

Post by Ross_Alford »

Well, I got one but I won't find out for ages whether it works; I had it shipped to my in-laws in the USA, and will pick it up when I visit them in a few months. If anyone else here bought one, I'd be curious to find out whether yours works.

Re the battery, I was assuming that the seller just didn't know they are bolted inside the body; they do not appear to be missing their bases, as they probably would be if they were really parts cameras.

Another comment about the batteries; in the process of fiddling around getting my DCS420 to work, I had the battery in and out several times; it is about a 3-5 minute job, tops, if you know what you're doing. Makes me wonder why all the old reminiscences about them complain of the battery not being field-replaceable--they aren't intended to be, but they really are; it would have been extremely easy to, for example, swap a charged one in during half time at a football match.
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Same seller posted a bunch of more auctions including some NC2000s!
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgiQ5fpaul
I bid on item number#130006399936
you people can have the rest :)
I have a question....does all NC2000s have "built for AP" markings? Of course the "AP" being "associated Press".
If so, this may be the camera that made newspapers go digital.
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Kodak in cooperation with AP

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote:I have a question....does all NC2000s have "built for AP" markings? Of course the "AP" being "associated Press".
If so, this may be the camera that made newspapers go digital.
The markings vary. Mine has a "Kodak in cooperation with AP" label. The camera was just that: Built in cooperation with AP.

It was "an improved version of the original NC2000, the "first electronic camera designed specifically for photojournalists" in the words of the AP."

I believe it was also marketed and sold by AP itself. Not sure if Kodak sold it on their own.

And yes: It was the camera that made newspapers go digital.

Jarle
cheng2005

Post by cheng2005 »

grr, US only, but now i want one of these.
anyone able to win one and send me one?
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Ask for shipping outside USA

Post by NikonWeb »

cheng2005 wrote:grr, US only, but now i want one of these.
Many sellers will agree to ship outside the US if you ask them nicely. Not all, but some. Worth a try. Anyway, these cameras are relatively easy to find. If you don't get this one just wait for the next to come along.

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

cheng2005 wrote:grr, US only, but now i want one of these.
Where are you located? Europe or Asia?
The cost of shipping these old heavy beasts adds up! Normally $25 to $40 US Dollars.
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon