Ebay dilemma...Please help.

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NIKON KIU

Ebay dilemma...Please help.

Post by NIKON KIU »

OK people,
here is the story:
As many of you know, I am a Nikon lover, I am sooooo bad that I have a complete collection of Nikon Proneas'. At one time I had 5 Pronea 6I's(now down to 2) in addition to my E2,E3, Nikon F collection and RF collection!
To make the story short, I have been looking for a DCS315 as in the Pronea 6i with the digial back here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7627052435
This one did $227.50....the seller seems to be legit with descent feedback, but here is the catch!
A day after the auction ended I got an email that looked like a second chance offer( I have seen many fake second chance offers), and this one looked at good as the real thing!

eBay sent this message to kiu kaffi (my user name).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.

Second Chance Offer - Buy The Item You Recently Bid On

eBay sent this message on behalf of an eBay member via My Messages. Responses sent using email will go to the eBay member directly and will include your email address. Use the Buy It Now button below to buy this item.

Second Chance Offer from kelimoran09
Item: Nikon Kodak DCS 315 Pronea 6i SLR Digital camera NR
This message was sent after the listing closed.
kelimoran09 is the seller.

Good news! The following eBay item on which you placed a bid for US $100.01 on Jun-11-06 21:33:29 PDT is now available for purchase:

Your Price: US $100.01
Offer end date: Jun-16-06 07:39:39 PDT

Message from kelimoran09:
Please read the entire auction bafore proceding.

Second Chance Offer

The seller, kelimoran09 is making this Second Chance Offer because the high bidder was either unable to complete the transaction or the seller has a duplicate item for sale.

The selling of this item through Second Chance Offer is in compliance with eBay policy; you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for all eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection.

Act Now - This Offer Expires Soon

To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly. This offer expires Jun-16-06 07:39:39 PDT.

You may purchase this item by clicking the "Buy It Now" button in this email or on the following page:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:SCO:US:1

To ask the seller a question before completing this purchase, please follow the link above and click the "Ask Seller A Question" link on the item page. To learn more about Second Chance Offer, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/personal_offer.html

Don't let this item get away

Details for item number: 7629520262

Item name: Nikon Kodak DCS 315 Pronea 6i SLR Digital camera NR
Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:SCO:US:1
End date: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 07:39:39 PDT
Thank you,
eBay

here is my dilemma: the offer looks good and its at my price, normally the fake second chance offers would have different email address than the original seller. This one has the right sellers name on it!
There is a yellow box with a BUY IT NOW as it should be in the email I received but guess what? when I hit on that button it takes me here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:SCO:US:2
Clearly an Ebay page but one for a completed auction!

and then there is this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7629726559
Looks like the same camera being relisted by the same seller!
Whewww...this is as confusing as it gets.
I actually emailed the seller and asked him if his camera had cracked LCD panel before the original auction ended and he emailed back and confirmed!

what do I do?
1) report it to ebay
2) contact him to see if he did send me the offer
3) not anything.
Thanks for reading,
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Ebay dilemma...Please help.

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote: what do I do?
Hi Kiu,

Personally, I would probably just forget about it. But: If you really want it I would at least contact the seller and ask for some more details. Strange that the Buy now button points to a completed auction - but then again the auction is already completed - kind of. I don't know how these things are supposed to work. Perhaps you'll get an option to buy it if you're logged on as yourself? Did you try that?

Good luck.

Best regards,
Jarle
NikonWeb
Site Admin

Re: Ebay dilemma...Please help.

Post by NikonWeb »

NIKON KIU wrote: normally the fake second chance offers would have different email address than the original seller.
Also, you don't normally get fake second chance offers for such low value items, do you?

Jarle
NIKON KIU

Post by NIKON KIU »

Jarle, the answere to your last question is NO, I never got a SCO for an item of this low of value...I was thinking may be the man DID send me a second chance offer but then he changed his mind and ended the offer.
Either way, I am surprised that top bid was $227.50 and my bid around $100!
I am sure there were other bidders higher than me, but I got the offer?
My other thought was that the seller was running the auction up with his buddies' user name and went too far...in that case I will forget about it!
I guess reporting this to ebay SHOULD make things more clear :twisted:
kiu
Lets talk Nikon
drummond93

Nikon DCS 315

Post by drummond93 »

Nikon Kiu... if you really want a DCS 315, (or a DCS 1,3,5,410,420, or 460) email me, as I've got a few I'd be glad to sell to anyone on this board. They also made a DCS 330... just in case you're collecting the entire Nikon line.
email is drummond93_at_aol.com
nikonnl

ebay, no way!

Post by nikonnl »

Dear Kiu,
don't open whatever offers in your regular email browser. Only open ebay messages in your 'My messages'-box in your 'My ebay' after you've signed in via regular ebay procdure. All other messages you've received outside this box sent them immediately to spoof@ebay.com. The same goes for paypal messages, which you may find in your regular mailbox. I sent them to spoof@paypal.com as well. Within a few minutes you will get an answer about the origin of that mail.
I often receive second offers, questions why I didn't pay etc. and as soon as I click on the 'button' I am in a fake 'sign-in'-window, where the sender tries to 'fish' my password.
Last tip: change your password regularly.
Happy selling & bidding.
Regards,
Nico