Looking for a DCS-100

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
pfraser

Looking for a DCS-100

Post by pfraser »

Any idea where I might find one? I've tried ebay (where I got a DCS-200 and a DCS-420), but the DCS-100 seems quite a bit rarer.

Thanks

Pete
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: Looking for a DCS-100

Post by NikonWeb »

pfraser wrote:Any idea where I might find one? I've tried ebay (where I got a DCS-200 and a DCS-420), but the DCS-100 seems quite a bit rarer.
Hi Pete and welcome to the vintage DSLR forum.

You're absolutely right. Original DCS cameras are considerably rarer and harder to find than later models. eBay is probably the best place to find one, but you'll have to be patient. These things don't come along very often, I'm afraid. Good luck!

Jarle
NIKON KIU

here you go!!

Post by NIKON KIU »

Was sombody looking for one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-DCS-Unit-Niko ... dZViewItem
:wink:
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

Wow. the whole shooting match, as it were. :P

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
drummond93

Almost the whole kit.. but not quite

Post by drummond93 »

It's almost complete, but missing the keyboard and the DCS instruction manual. The SB-12 flash unit and Chinon video CV-AC32 w/ BNC cable are not part of the original kit- just simple aftermarket items to allow for flash and apparently video conversion. Anyone asked the seller for the serial numbers?
UPDATE: the seller replied the serial number on the digital back (the "winder") is K370-1098
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

What is the etiquette of posting a link to an item for sale when potentially multiple forum members are interested in the item? Anyone interested in this item and not finding this site hasn't done much homework.

There's a lot of room for discussion. What happens to the value of items owned or items soon to be listed. New collectors could be disouraged by the price inflation created.

I delayed a long time to post this as I wasn't sure I should broach this subject.
Keep your mirror up!
NIKON KIU

Ask for one!

Post by NIKON KIU »

nik0web wrote:What is the etiquette of posting a link to an item for sale when potentially multiple forum members are interested in the item? ...
I delayed a long time to post this as I wasn't sure I should broach this subject.
Hello nikOweb,
We here at the Digital forum are always trying to promote using and collecting these old beasts, the etiquette lies among members in the sense that I replied to Peter's request upon knowing he was interested in finding the original DCS, because I try to help anyone that posts on this forum.
We have discussed this same subject before and our conclusion was that whoever called on an item first other members of this forum would excersize patience and wait for the next one.
I personally DON'T have the original DCS and I still cared to post the heads-up reply just to let Peter know this one poped up! I even went as far as sending him a PM(private message) via our forum!
I would be glad to do the same for you.
The discussion of price is a totally different matter, there are dealers out there that buy and sell same and they can come in at anytime to snipe an item for reselling! thay can dictate prices more than the one time purchasr/collector(which includes most people here)!
Here is an example:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrp ... FSQ3aMESOI
here is the the item he tried to snipe:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7620122159
I would worry more about dealers than fellow forum members!
Regards,
Kiu
Lets talk Nikon
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Forum etiquette

Post by NikonWeb »

nik0web wrote:What is the etiquette of posting a link to an item for sale when potentially multiple forum members are interested in the item?
Good question! Unfortunately, there's no simple answer.

Personally, I'd be very reluctant to post a link to an auction for a rare item that I planned to bid on myself. On the other hand, you could perhaps save some money by avoiding a bidding war among fellow forum members. Tough one. It really depends if everyone agrees to let whoever called on an item first have it. Obviously, you can't always expect that, especially for rarer items. Whoever places the highest bid wins. We should all respect that. No hard feelings, please. You should also keep in mind that this is an open forum that can be monitored by anyone.

We have posted links to several auctions in the past, and never had any issues so far. But I completely understand and appreciate your concern.

Best regards,
Jarle
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Pete was not the first forum member to bid on this item. Pete has neglected to bid on the most recent auctions for DCS 100 items since this thread started. If I don't bid on an item because of other members interest how do I know whether someone plans on sniping the item in the last seconds. Should I cancel my bid?????????? I have in the past on this forum expressed my interest in completing my DCS 100 outfit.

I would recommend that no-one do what I did: not buy a complete outfit. The odds are fairly good that I will never complete my DCS 100

John
Keep your mirror up!
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

nik0web wrote:
Pete was not the first forum member to bid on this item. Pete has neglected to bid on the most recent auctions for DCS 100 items since this thread started.
First of all, I'd like to thank Kiu for telling me about this, and mention that I'm sorry that his good deed (from my perspective) caused contoversy.

The reason that I didn't bid on previous DCS-100 units is that I didn't know they were on ebay. I set ebay to email me when a DCS-100 came up (and even posted a request in ebay's "want it now" section). Perhaps I missed the previous units, like I almost missed this one, because they were listed as DCS only.

Once again, thanks and sorry.

Pete
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Thanks for getting back on this. I still don't know what to do. We both want the item. I bought the last item on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

and still don't have a good DSU. In addition the cables I have are cobbled together and not Kodak originals. The 25 pib cable has been used as a scsi cable, a parellel cable, a printer cable and the Kodak DCS cable . I don't know which the Kodak is, or whether it's different. I still have no software and haven't been lucky enough to win a Photoshop 3 on eBay.

I think in the future it would be nice to start a forum where we can all throw together what we have excess so that we can complete a collection.

This item is closing and I don't know what to do????

I'm sorry I created the dissension. I mean no harm.

John
Keep your mirror up!
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

I decided not to bid. Most of these items I don't need. I need the battery and the DSU. They'll come up in the future. Pete I only hope it's you who wins. Good luck and welcome to the world of DCS 100 users.

John
Keep your mirror up!
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

nik0web:

Pete I only hope it's you who wins. Good luck and welcome to the world of DCS 100 users.
Thanks John, and everybody else who has given me advice.
Looks like I got the camera.

I see what you mean by snipers though. I'd never seen that before. Looks like I wanted it more than nsxdream.

Pete
nik0web

Post by nik0web »

Congratulations Pete! You won. I see the guy mentioned above tried to snipe it. Does anyone have a keyboard to sell to Pete. I have the Commucations manual but not an extra.

Again good luck.

John
Keep your mirror up!
pfraser

Post by pfraser »

nik0web:
I still don't have a good DSU
I don't know if I do yet? What's wrong with yours?
I don't know which the Kodak is, or whether it's different.
I'd be happy to send you images of my cables, or answer questions.
I still have no software and haven't been lucky enough to win a Photoshop 3 on eBay.
for my DCS-200 I ended up buying several old Macs (dirt cheap) and cobbling one together with the correct software. The whole process cost me about $100. I hope it will work for the DCS-100 also.