DSU: Strange behaviour (?)

Discuss older Nikon-based Kodak digital SLRs, including DCS 100, DCS 200, NC2000, DCS 400/600/700-series, etc. Ask questions, post general comments, anecdotes, reviews and user tips.
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

DSU: Strange behaviour (?)

Post by NikonWeb »

The Kodak DSU (Digital Storage Unit) includes a 200 MB Winchester hard drive. Whenever I replace the rechargable battery, the images are lost.

I assume this has something to do with the 'DeadLith' error message, meaning that the lithium battery permanently sealed in the DSU is dead. Still, I've never heard of a hard drive that requires power when turned off?

According to Kodak support, the DSU works as a standard SCSI hard drive.

I've still not been able to transfer images from the DSU to a PC. Using a Win XP system, that hardly comes as a big surprise. I'll try to set up a SCSI card on a Windows 3.1 (!) or Win 95 system later.

Jarle
Stan Disbrow

Post by Stan Disbrow »

Hi,

It's entirely possible that the DSU controller is initializing the hardfile as part of it's overall intialization process, which it's probably doing as a result of the dead Li cell. With that dead, and the other power removed, the controller won't know what state things are in and think it's starting up for the very first time - every time.

No, the hardfile itself won't lose information with the power off, but this is not just a hardfile on it's own. Whatever data is (or is not) written to the file is at the mercy of the controller in the DSU......

Stan
Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
NikonWeb
Site Admin
antispam: No

Re: DSU: Strange behaviour (?)

Post by NikonWeb »

That makes sense. No big deal, but a bit frustrating since my AC adapter doesn't work. Oh well, I just need a few simple test shots. I'll never use it for anything serious.

Jarle